Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Just come across an issue when updating to "10.6.2".

When the update has been applied and the machine actually starts in up in 10.6.2 (Sometimes it only installs the combo update on the reboot) it appears to have full graphics support. There are 2 issues i've come across.

1: If you change resolution the screen flickers and you get a "sky blue screen" and you cannot see your desktop. Ff you reboot.. it goes to start up screen flickers and you get a "sky blue screen" again.
2: High pitched sound coming from computer when moving mouse around or hovering around icons in the dock. (This is coming from the graphics card GPU! Worrying!)
3: The fan doesn't work as it should on the XFX9800GT, it doesn't spin up when needed (Even more worrying)

This is caused by graphics enabler, to resolve:

Reboot the machine using the iboot CD then select your mac os hard drive to boot from.
Run "Multibeast" then install nv enabler under graphics. Reboot machine after installation, you should now see your desktop and be able to change resolutions.

OR

On boot up press enter when it's loading chameleon, type -x and press enter.
Run "Multibeast" then install nv enabler under graphics. Reboot machine after installation, you should now see your desktop and be able to change resolutions.

Please note, i've noticed even if you have installed nv enabler before you did the combo update, it will need re-installing after the combo update has fully installed.

And if you want to disable graphics enabler, go to \Extra and edit com.apple.boot.plist so this line
Code:
<string>arch=i386 GraphicsEnabler=Yes</string>
is
Code:
<string>arch=i386 GraphicsEnabler=No</string>

Hope this helps, especially anyone stuck in a blue screen :)

I have none of the problems above except for a high-pitched whine from the inductors/capacitors on my 9500GT when scrolling Firefox windows with Smooth Scrolling enabled, dragging windows about etc.

I'm not using a kext to enable QE/CI, just GraphicsEnabler=Yes in boot.plist.

Has anyone else experienced this (perfectly functional graphics save for whining noise) and solved it by using the NVEnabler.kext method?

ectoplasmosis said:
I have none of the problems above except for a high-pitched whine from the inductors/capacitors on my 9500GT when scrolling Firefox windows with Smooth Scrolling enabled, dragging windows about etc.

I'm not using a kext to enable QE/CI, just GraphicsEnabler=Yes in boot.plist.

Has anyone else experienced this (perfectly functional graphics save for whining noise) and solved it by using the NVEnabler.kext method?

Thats the sound, try the above and report back :). Graphics are fast and the fan works properly on mine.

Don't have access to the machine right now, can you confirm that the whine is gone (not just drowned out by the higher speed fan)?

Would be a load off my mind, the whine is doing my nut, thought it was just a bad card or something to do with the way the Speedstep DSDT was managing power to the on-CPU PCI-e controller...

ectoplasmosis said:
Don't have access to the machine right now, can you confirm that the whine is gone (not just drowned out by the higher speed fan)?

Would be a load off my mind, the whine is doing my nut, thought it was just a bad card or something to do with the way the Speedstep DSDT was managing power to the on-CPU PCI-e controller...

100% Gone, the fan is barely audible anyway. I'm quite sensitive to high pitched noises too, it was annoying me and was worrying.

Hi,
I just installed NV enabler using multibeast because I had issues changing the screen resolution (blue screen).
After Install, I had the blue screen on startup... :x , so I had to boot on safe mode, and after disabling GraphicsEnabler, I can boot normally... but my problem now is that performance is really bad!!! before installing NV enabler, I couldn't change the screen resolution but it was working really well.
Tried to remove NV enabler kext and set Graphics enabler to Yes, but it didn't worked... I was booting to blue screen again... so I re-installed nv enabler and disabled graphicsenabler but I'm stuck with this bad performance...

Any advice?
How can I completely remove nv enabler?

Thanks in advance.

Navigate to /Extra/Extensions

Delete NVenabler

Run MultiBeast and select Rebuild Caches

Reboot :)

Thanks!

So I'm back to GraphicsEnabler=Yes and no NV enabler, test with front row and ok.
Funny thing, changed to the other DVI port and now I can change the screen resolution :lol:

System profiler sees my card correctly, even the amount of memory :clap:

Well, I don't know what happened but all of a sudden it stopped working properly... so in the end I used osx86tools to create a custom EFi string and now is working perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back