Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Ive googled the problem, ive got OSX on one drive and XP on the other. Both sata, both boot independently of eachother. I used multibeast which installed chameleon 2.0 rc5 and the ntfs drive shows up, but when i select it I get a blank screen and blinking cursor. Ive read of various fixes, but im not good with terminal yet and i havent found a step by step fix that i can understand. One i found said make a separate partition on the XP drive, set it to HFS+ install chameleon 2.0 rc1 there and make it active. While i understand that, i dont understand how to do it, and i dont want to mess up either hard drive so i have to reinstall anything, cause it just takes too long. This is the last part to make my OSX86 right, how to I fix this?

Mark

autocomman said:
Ive googled the problem, ive got OSX on one drive and XP on the other. Both sata, both boot independently of eachother. I used multibeast which installed chameleon 2.0 rc5 and the ntfs drive shows up, but when i select it I get a blank screen and blinking cursor. Ive read of various fixes, but im not good with terminal yet and i havent found a step by step fix that i can understand. One i found said make a separate partition on the XP drive, set it to HFS+ install chameleon 2.0 rc1 there and make it active. While i understand that, i dont understand how to do it, and i dont want to mess up either hard drive so i have to reinstall anything, cause it just takes too long. This is the last part to make my OSX86 right, how to I fix this?

Mark
When in the chameleon screen is there an icon to select called "System Reserved"?
If there is, this is the one to select to boot XP.

Your boot files for XP may have been overwritten. If you have a newer Bios, then I think F12 will often let you boot a different OS directly from the Bios. Or, you can unhook the SL drive and see if XP boots, the only attached drive. If you can't boot XP by either of these methods then you need to restore the MBR of the XP drive. Use a rescue cd or a repair install from your XP cd (Google fdisk/mbr). You may need to make the the XP drive active.

Now, SL might not boot. You can choose a method to add SL to a Windows bootloader. Or, you can run Chameleon again. Each drive has a separate MBR. You want the Chameleon bootloader to be installed to the SL drive and its MBR. You want the XP to have its own boot installed to its drive and its MBR. I think that it is more likely that the boot sector has been overwritten rather than the entire drive and contents.

After re-reading your post I notice that you say both OS boot independently. I think that "System Reserved" is part of Windows 7, about a 100MB boot area. I don't think that Windows XP created such a partition; boot information was written to the MBR with some boot files on the C: drive. Ok, this is not a purist solution. I installed Ubuntu Linux on about 20GB of my SL drive in a separate partition. Ubuntu wrote its bootloader to the MBR of the SL drive. Now when I boot up I have the options of running memtest, Windows 7, SL 32bit and 64bit kernel, and Ubuntu. Sorry I can't help with a prettier idea.

It's because XP won't boot if it's not the 1st boot drive - or words like that.
Dont know if it's possible to get it to boot by edit to XPs boot.ini:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Where perhaps disk(0) would be changed to disk(1). Or perhaps you have to change multi(1) or rdisk(1), so some combination of these.
(As XP's not the boot drive(0), if you are using OSX-Chameleon to boot).

Else, easiest to use F12 and select Win drive (w/o any changes to boot.ini).

The other ways, like putting Chameleon onto the Win drive, or using Grub (which allows for disk-remapping) are indeed more involved, and probably not worth the hassle.

That's an interesting idea. I always installed Windows to the first drive when I dual booted with Redhat. That is when there was a primary and secondary ide port on the mainboard. Out of force of habit I still install Windows 7 on the sata cable #1, even if it doesn't matter.

If he has XP installed on an IDE drive, that means he installed it with the Bios in IDE mode. The Bios is changed under SL to AHCI. I see posts wondering how to change XP to AHCI mode so perhaps that has a bearing on OP's issue.

The OP appeared to want to have a pure Hackintosh method. That is likely to involve some "hassle" as I doubt you would give even money that your solution will fix the problem.

If this were Windows 7 and SL then Easybcd would be at least a 10 to 1 favorite to work.
http://thegadgets.net/trickt-boy/tips-a ... 7-on-a-pc/
I've used this and it's less than a four minute solution including download.

But despite what the Wikipedia says, XP -64 and Mac don't work out of the box with Easybcd.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... ntry577095 Macgirl, Post #2

"Just one observation, in order to boot XP it needs that device points to "BOOT" instead of C:\ [SH: Doesn't your solution, edit boot.ini, reside on the C:\ root?}

I created the BCD file on XP in Fusion. Files needed: bootmgr and Boot\BCD
I also included the NST\nst_mac.mbr BCD contains 2 entries, one for XP and other for Mac OS I gues it needs to be reconfigured in order to recognize your Volume/Disk
Here is the attached file: Attached File bcd.zip ( 433.15K )"

SH: So this will work since the first drive will be Windows and active to bring Easybcd.

I wouldn't call this a hassle free solution. I think the problem is Chameleon. After the release of MutiBeast 3.03 with the new Chameleon RC, I ran Chameleon again hoping to overwrite Ubuntu's grub since the Chameleon bootloader looks better. It didn't work. And I've seen no reference to an analogy of the Grub update command for Chameleon.

There are nonetheless posts reporting XP and SL dual-booting. What about editing com.apple.Boot.plist?

Begin quote:
Type diskpart
Type select disk 0
Type list partition

(Then look at the partition list and figure out which one is your XP)

Type exit

The number identifying that partition is what you'll use in place of my number 3 below, if different.

Reboot into Snow Leopard, open finder and in the search bar type (or copy and paste from this):

/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

This will come up with two files, one is the main file and the other is the backup. Clicking on either will display the folder it's in at the bottom of the window - you want the one in Extra, not Extra.bak. Select the file in the Extra folder but don't open it yet.

Where the Extra folder is now displayed along the bottom, right click on it and select Get Info. Scroll down to Sharing and Permissions, click the padlock to open it. Enter your admin password.

I then changed the permissions for both Wheel and Everyone to Read & Write since I didn't know what they did Close the padlock.

Right click on the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist file and Open With using TextEdit. Insert the following lines:

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,3)</string> [SH: Use your XP partition value, not necessarily as shown.]

..into the section with similar text. I put mine just before the timeout 5 seconds option, but I don't know if it matters.

Save and exit TextEdit. Change the two permissions back to Read Only. Reboot and test, and it should boot into XP." End Quote

autocomman said:
No, just the SL and NTFS icons, only the 2
So, if I understand right, you can make the XP drive first in HD boot order and boot to windows with no problem, or
you can make the SL HD first in boot order and boot to SL with no problem.
It is only when you hit a key and select the windows NTFS drive to boot from that the problem occurs and it just sits there with a black screen and a flat horizontal cursor bar blinking at you.

Is this a correct statement of the problem?

I have exactly the same issue here.

While it would be nice to have the boot option work for XP working in Chameleon I think it's just as easy to use the BIOS boot disk option when needed, hence I gave up on getting Chameleon to do the job.

Hitting F12 and selecting a boot drive is just as easy/hard as hitting space to interrupt the Chameleon boot sequence and selecting WinXP.

bazz.

sirbazz said:
Hitting F12 and selecting a boot drive is just as easy/hard as hitting space to interrupt the Chameleon boot sequence and selecting WinXP.
bazz.
Exactly :thumbup:
(But not as pretty!)

Both drives will boot independently of eachother....i can use one drive plugged in at a time.

Now, when i plugged both drives in, it was set to boot the xp drive first, and it went right into xp no problem

I changed the boot order to make the SL drive boot first and it would not boot. I had to reinstall chamelon. Which i did with multibeast, cause i dont understand how to do it otherwise. I dont know why it did that, i guess somehow chamelon got corrupted, but its never done that since....

this is how it currently stands

It will boot the SL drive first, and go into chamelon and boot SL. If i select the XP drive from chamelon, it will go blank screen, and blink a cursor.

If i hit F8 for the boot popup menu from the mobo bios, I can select either drive, and they will each boot no problem. I guess i can use the mobo bios to boot either drive, bt id rather use one boot loader...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back