Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Big Bang Xpower
CPU
i7-920
Graphics
GTX 480
Hey everyone. I am having an issue where my system does not play nice with my new GTX 480 card. I am upgrading from a radeon 4850 and up to this point, I have had no issue with anything at all.

Before I installed the card, I removed all the ATI kexts from the Extra folder and booted up the system with the 480 installed. I reach the apple logo, but the spinner does not come up and it stays there.

Upon further inspection in verbose, I always reach the bottom screen.

I attempted to look where exactly the error comes from, but I have no clue. I attempted to use an enabler but no dice. Would someone be able to point me in the right direction to remedy this? Please.I really need to fix this before long.
Thank you! :D

Attachments

• IMG_20120518_121256.jpg
    IMG_20120518_121256.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 200
How to get GTX 480 Working

Well, in case anyone cares how this was fixed, here is how I did it.

I re-installed SL 10.6.3 with no updates, then used Tonymac's update guide to update to 10.6.8, making sure to check the IOPCIFamily fix to correct the [PCI configuration begin] issue. Then I installed the drivers for the GTX 480.

However, although the system booted up fine, it was unstable. I believe this is due to the drivers that were already in the system and I kept reinstalling the core system over.

What I ended up doing was backing up my files, and starting clean, as I would prefer to have a clean installation anyways.

Here is a small guide with details on how to get the GTX 480 working
> Installed Snow Leopard 10.6.3
> Updated to 10.6.8
> Before rebooting, I used Multibeast 3.8. Applied IOPCI family fix
> Reboot
> To get the GTX working, download and install Nvidia driver found here.
> Reboot
> Use EFI Studio (I Included a version I found specifically for the GTX 480). Get the string for your video card and write it to com.apple.boot.plist.
> Reboot
> Your card is now activated.
> Note: if you are getting lines in the middle whenever something happens on your screen, I believe this kext will help: AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.zip. I included it on the bottom as well.

Now one question remains. Besides the two dvi outputs, there is one Mini HDMI connection. Does it work? For me, it currently does not. Can anybody help me on this one?

Note: I don't care about sound through HDMI. I just want a monitor extension, but sound would be a plus if there is no core changes needed to make it work.

Attachments

• EFIStudio GTX480 ONLY.zip
    4 MB · Views: 114
  • AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.zip
    67.3 KB · Views: 81
I found this guide to be very useful... Only problem I have now is when i reinstalled all my drives, When i h ave my original windows SSD plugged in, no matter what config it wont let me past the loading wheel, ill need to get a sata extender or something so i dont wear and tear my motherboard

Im wondering if its maybe just a setting now ro soemthing on multibeast for me. :(

Im experiencing a similar problem with my system. I have been trying to get gfx eneabled and i have 2 gtx 480s. I removed one for the install proccess and havent installed it since. I have tried the methods listed above and more. I would greatly appreciate some help. Thanks.

No im talking about harddrives. I cannot get my SSD to boot up when there is 2 sata 3 slots filled...

Ive had to work around and just plug my SSD into the white gsata ports but TRIM is working now.

Id still like to have my SSD plugged in instead of this swapping when i need osx.

Is there a simple fix to this?

I only installed J Micron SATA driver

Do i need to install anything else?

Also this method above worked for me with just my single GTX480. Brand new with 2012 bootrom

You must use the olderone listed in all the guides sir. 2.8

I have almost everything working using this Original Posters guidelines. Just with Multibeast 2.80 not 3.10

I still have this super annoying blue shutdown screen with the grey/black wheel spinning and i have to manually shutdown. smh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back