CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Ok, so I was looking to kind of upgrade my system. The main idea was to upgrade to a better chassis with more RGB stuff (RGB cooler, more fans etc). Along the way I decided to upgrade the Mobo and the Processor as well.

My original specs were:

Mobo: Asus Rog Strix Z270F
Gfx: RX 580
Processor: i7 7700K

The new specs are:

Mobo: Aorus Z390 Elite
Gfx: RX 580 (same)
Processor: i7 8700K

After setting up the hardware, I prepared a USB for Mojave looking to install Mac from scratch.

I did however, use the same SSD from my previous rig, hoping to wipe it clean during install and install Mojave.

To my surprise, however, the new Rig booted just fine with the old SSD. Everything including network, sound, bluetooth, all the apps etc. are working like a charm.

So I am wondering if this is supposed to happen? Even after changing the mobo and the processor (I guess other things like RAM and new hardware don't matter much), Mojave is working just like it did before. In the system properties everything shows up fine. Or should I still go ahead and do a clean install.

Looking forward to your opinion.

Ok, so I was looking to kind of upgrade my system. The main idea was to upgrade to a better chassis with more RGB stuff (RGB cooler, more fans etc). Along the way I decided to upgrade the Mobo and the Processor as well.

My original specs were:

The new specs are:

After setting up the hardware, I prepared a USB for Mojave looking to install Mac from scratch.

I did however, use the same SSD from my previous rig, hoping to wipe it clean during install and install Mojave.

To my surprise, however, the new Rig booted just fine with the old SSD. Everything including network, sound, bluetooth, all the apps etc. are working like a charm.

So I am wondering if this is supposed to happen? Even after changing the mobo and the processor (I guess other things like RAM and new hardware don't matter much), Mojave is working just like it did before. In the system properties everything shows up fine. Or should I still go ahead and do a clean install.

Depending on how you configured your EFI folder and how compatible the hardware is, yes, it can work fine.

I have used my EFI folder on different with little to no changes other than system definition, Serial, Board Serial, and UUID.

Depending on how you configured your EFI folder and how compatible the hardware is, yes, it can work fine.

I have used my EFI folder on different with little to no changes other than system definition, Serial, Board Serial, and UUID.

I guess that makes sense. The only big hardware change is the Mobo. i7-7700 to i7-8700 shouldn't be that big a deal.

I guess you can get away with just adapting your EFI folder. I can boot most Macs from the same emergency disk, so in fact it is not that surprising.

I am going to try this with my upcoming Z390 system, just replacing the EFI from my current Z170 system.

The thing that worries me is software copy protection stuff.... I wonder if some extra massaging takes place if I start with a fresh install of Mojave and use Migration Assistant to import my apps/data to the new system.
I am not exactly looking forward to redoing all challenge/reponse/serial nr/whathaveyou stuff... Might take days...

So just replacing the EFI folder sounds easy and fast, but I would like to hear from others what happened with their copy protected apps using this method.

My original specs were:

The new specs are:

Is this supposed to happen? My answer is, yes, if the installed system is compatible with the new motherboard and CPU, like your case.

I have done several motherboard replacements in the past (P67 -> Z68 -> Z270, Z68 -> X99), and the systems boot up fine every time.

So, no, you don't need to reinstall if everything is working.

Thanks for the responses. I spoke a bit too soon I guess. I noticed the computer froze every time while trying to shutdown. I guess I could just have tried replacing the EFI folder (as suggested above) and modify the config.plist, but I am not a pro at hackintoshing and prefer to follow guides step by step. So I went ahead and did a clean install. All's working well now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back