i7 6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The CPU is a i5 3570K which I think is 77 watts. The Kozuti works best for 65 watts CPUs, but they say it will cool up to 95.

Anyone?

I'm putting a Z77N-WIFI board into a Lian Li PC-Q11A case and was wondering if anyone had any input on a good cooler. This is the one I ordered (not here yet) but I'm getting cold feet:

http://www.amazon.com/Scythe-Profile-Universal-S-F-M-S-SCKZT-1000/dp/B00501PZ7C/

Any thoughts? Would I be better off with a Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev B?

How much headroom do you have above the CPU in your case?

You might want to consider the new Noctua that was announced Tuesday 10/23 - http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=presse_archiv&step=2&news_id=80&lng=en

Thanks.

I finally got all the parts today and have started the assembly. So far I just have the optical drive installed, moving on now to the SSD and HDD. I'll only know about headroom when I get the mobo and power supply in place I think. So I'll report back then. I'm starting to get in the notion of just keeping this one and seeing how it does.

OK so I ended up using the Scythe Kozuti. I may regret it later. This thing is large and maxes out the available space. The RAM had to go in first before the cooler.

My question now is: does it matter that the heatsink fins actually touch (or almost touch) the back of my firewire PCI card? Yes, it's THAT close! Could there be any negative effects if they do actually touch? There is a couple of metal "prongs" that stick out the back of the firewire PCI card that seem to be actually touching the cooler. Should I try to slip something between them? If so, what? A piece of the antistatic bag that the motherboard came in?

As always, all help appreciated.

OK so I ended up using the Scythe Kozuti. I may regret it later. This thing is large and maxes out the available space. The RAM had to go in first before the cooler.

My question now is: does it matter that the heatsink fins actually touch (or almost touch) the back of my firewire PCI card? Yes, it's THAT close! Could there be any negative effects if they do actually touch? There is a couple of metal "prongs" that stick out the back of the firewire PCI card that seem to be actually touching the cooler. Should I try to slip something between them? If so, what? A piece of the antistatic bag that the motherboard came in?

As always, all help appreciated.

Slip a piece of pasteboard between the fins and gfx card and tape in place with masking tape. No sense in taking chances.

Slip a piece of pasteboard between the fins and gfx card and tape in place with masking tape. No sense in taking chances.

OK thanks for the suggestion...However, what is pasteboard? (please excuse my ignorance).

OK thanks for the suggestion...However, what is pasteboard? (please excuse my ignorance).
Ah, the younger generation that has missed so much!!
Pasteboard:
The stuff shipping/packing boxes are made of? has a smooth, thin cardboard front and back with a wavy piece between, all pasted together? Roaches just love the glue that holds it together (or they used to - makers might have changed the formula.)

Or, if that is too thick, use a piece of card board from the back of a pad of paper.

Ha! I'm probably older than you! :)

OK I see something right here on my desk that will work. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back