Contribute
Register

Is there any reason Monterey will not boot on a OptiPlex MFF 3090 i3-10105?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 3090 i3 MFF
CPU
i3-10105T
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The i5 3090 MFF seems to support Monterey: https://github.com/Aaron9466/dell-optiplex-3090mff-opencore

lshw output of the 3090 MFF Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-10105T CPU @ 3.00GHz version is attached.

Attempts to boot a Monterey USB installer were unsuccessful.

UNRESOLVED RELATED POSTINGS:

Attachments

• lshw_OptiplexMicro3090_Alpha_PII.txt
    23.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
What exactly happens when you try to install macOS Monterey?

A photo of theVerbose text displayed might be helpful.

As would a copy of your OC EFI folder, with the Serial Number, MLB, ROM and SystemUUID deleted from the config.plist.

A link to someone else's EFI isn't helpful. As we don't know if you have changed it beyond adding your own SMBIOS data?

Without those two items we don't know what you are using or what is causing the system to kernel panic.

Thank you for the reply. Guidance is happily accepted for testing.

BACKGROUND: An experimental SSD was outfitted with with Monterey + Opencore. The SSD booted up at 1080p on a 4th Gen Optiplex 7010. The 4th-Gen EFI was replaced with the Aaron9466-EFI from:

https://github.com/Aaron9466/dell-optiplex-3090mff-opencore

The Aaron9466 SMBIOS is iMac20,1 and

STRATEGY: The Aaron9466 EFI indicates support 10th-Geni5 / i7, however, the hope is that it would support i3 with minimal modifications. I outfitted the Aaron9466-config.plist with a Serial Number, MLB, ROM and SystemUUID.

The SSD boots to the OC-picker: once the Monterey SSD is selected it begins to boot. The Apple logo is shown and the progress makes it to ~15%. At 15% progress the machine reboots from BIOS.

I would be happy to photograph the Verbose text, however, none is returned. Any guidance / instructions are gratefully accepted for test.

Attachments:

1) config.plist is attached.​
2) EFI->Dell->logs->drags_current.xml:​

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<SupportAssistPrebootDiagnosticLog>
<Schema>1.0.0</Schema>
<LogNumber>1</LogNumber>
<LogTimeStamp>08/23/2022 21:25:55</LogTimeStamp>
<ePSA_Data>
<Result>Abort</Result>
<ReturnCode>BOOT_HOST_OS</ReturnCode>
<DevicesTested>Disk,Memory</DevicesTested>
<ePSAFullVersion>ED.1.0.9</ePSAFullVersion>
<ePSAInvocationCount>1</ePSAInvocationCount>
</ePSA_Data>
<BIOS_Data>
<ErrorCategory>NO_BOOT</ErrorCategory>
<ErrorMessage><![CDATA[Operating System Loader failed signature verification. WARNING: The file may have been tampered with! All bootable devices failed Secure Boot verification.
]]></ErrorMessage>
<Flags>BIOSCONNECT_ENABLED</Flags>
<SOS_Available>FALSE</SOS_Available>
<TimeOutSeconds>0</TimeOutSeconds>
</BIOS_Data>
</SupportAssistPrebootDiagnosticLog>

My gut tells me the above Error Message indicates the nature of the problem, however, I will need guidance to determine the procedure to vanquish the Error Message.

Attachments

• Config_redacted.plist
    32 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
You need to undertake a Clean install of macOS Monterey.

As the drive's security has failed, the drive won't boot in to macOS on this system.

Looking through your config.plist I would comment as follows:

There are some messages at the top of the config, these are important and you appear to have missed a couple of them from your setup.

Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 20.34.46.png

CPUFriend.kext doesn't have the companion CPUFriendDataProvider.kext, so it does nothing for your system.
Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 20.29.47.png
CPUFriend.kext entry an be deleted from /OC/Kexts folder and config.

You have left SIP disabled, there is no need to do that. Enabling SIP is the best security.
Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 20.32.49.png
Add -v and debug=0x100 to boot-args to make verbose text visible if system KP's.
Change csr-active-config to <00000000> to enable SIP

Kernel > Patch - entry why do you need an extra patch for AppleALC.kext?
Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 20.30.38.png

Kernel > Debug - AppleDebug entry is usually set to True, not false.
Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 20.31.28.png

Booter > Security > SecureBootModel - should be set to Default, not Disabled.
Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 20.31.42.png

UEFI > APFS > MinDate and MinVersion should be set to '0', not -1 when running Big Sur or newer.
Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 20.33.21.png

DeviceProperties > Add > Ethernet entry seems to be a mix for an i225-V controller and an i219-LM controller.
Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 20.34.08.png
Assumue the ALC layout-id is correct, but the Kernel patch still warrants further investigation as to its purpose.

@Edhawk: I really appreciate you taking the time to comb through the config.plist and provide actionable suggestions.

I think I was successful with:

1. Removing CPUFriend.kext entry from /OC/Kexts folder and config.plist (#16)
2. Enable SIP:

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 10.11.51 PM.png

Did I enable SIP correctly? I removed the # symbol and the other "sister" csr-active-config line item entries.

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 10.11.51 PM.png

3. Add -v and debug=0x100 to boot-args to make verbose text visible

4. Kernel > Debug - AppleDebug entry changed from False to True

5. Booter > Security > SecureBootModel - changed from Disabled to Default.

6. EFI > APFS > MinDate and MinVersion should be set to '0', not -1

Please clarify:
=========
7. Kernel > Patch - entry why do you need an extra patch for AppleALC.kext?
=> I do not know why AppleALC.kex was selected. Should I delete the entry from config.plist? Or set Enabled = False?

8. DeviceProperties > Add > Ethernet entry seems to be a mix for an i225-V controller and an i219-LM controller
=> Should I delete one or the other? or is it OK to leave both?

Boot Observations
============
The attached config.plist is stuck and returned:

IMG_1419.jpeg

I am grateful for the assistance (analysis and instructions) and look forward to your input.

Attachments

• Config_Edhawk2.plist
    31.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
No you didn't enable SIP correctly.

You unhashed (#) the example, not the crs-active-config entry, which still has SIP set as Disabled.
Screenshot 2022-08-27 at 12.50.04.png

The SIP entry needs to be set as <00000000>, you can delete the Examples.

Here is a revised config.plist for you to try in your comet lake system. Config_Edhawk3.plist. I have made a few edits to the config, i.e. disabled, enabled, deleted and added a few options that should help your system boot.

Try it out and see if this makes any difference.

Attachments

• Config_Edhawk3.plist.zip
    5.5 KB · Views: 72
No you didn't enable SIP correctly.

You unhashed (#) the example, not the crs-active-config entry, which still has SIP set as Disabled.
View attachment 553813

The SIP entry needs to be set as <00000000>, you can delete the Examples.

Here is a revised config.plist for you to try in your comet lake system. Config_Edhawk3.plist. I have made a few edits to the config, i.e. disabled, enabled, deleted and added a few options that should help your system boot.

Try it out and see if this makes any difference.
The system now boots: how do I send (buy) you a beer?! :)
In all seriousness: I would like to understand what changes were made and why they were changed. Though I suspect it is mainly experience / expert judgment that drives the changes. Please consider:

1) What if any tools did you use to diagnose which parameters were changed / added?
2) If you have a list changed parameters, please consider posting them in a reply.

Again, you have my heartfelt gratitude: your service is appreciated.

I use Corpnewt's ProperTree plist editor and the ocvalidate terminal command (each version of OpenCore has its own ocvalidate) when editing and revising an OC EFI folder.

Hackintool, MaciASL and IOReg come in handy when dealing with other aspects including post-installation issues. Those are the main tools I use.

Experience, knowing the options to select from reading the OC guide too many times, using the Sample.plist as a base and my understanding of the OC process told me what to change to make it work. Not something I can teach or explain, as each case is usually slightly different.

Thanks for the offer to buy me a beer, just buy the site a cup of coffee instead, link on the Home page.

Glad to be able to help.

I'm totally stealing that PLIST for my (not yet shipped) Optiplex 7090 with i7. :) I feel good about my chances; those are effectively identical chipsets.

@ProZak512 Please see the TWO links regarding HDMI and 4K issues that I have not had time to resolve.

UNRESOLVED RELATED POSTINGS:

If you run into these issues and manage to resolve them, please consider replying with a solution.

Tips:
Have fun and good hunting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back