Contribute
Register

Is there any other version of Mac OS compatible with my graphic video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mavericks
CPU
Core 2 Duo
Graphics
NVDIA GeForce 210
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Currently i'm using Mac OS 10.7.2 because i have a nVidia 7200gs card. I tried install Yosemite but it doesn't work because to make "enable" the card i need use the flag "arch=i386" in every boot. Searching on the internet, i found out that Yosemite can't be booted in 32 bits mode.My question is: Mountain Lion or Mavericks are compatible with this flag?Because i am feeling too older using Lion, haha.Thanks!

Currently i'm using Mac OS 10.7.2 because i have a nVidia 7200gs card. I tried install Yosemite but it doesn't work because to make "enable" the card i need use the flag "arch=i386" in every boot. Searching on the internet, i found out that Yosemite can't be booted in 32 bits mode.My question is: Mountain Lion or Mavericks are compatible with this flag?Because i am feeling too older using Lion, haha.Thanks!

I'm surprised Lion even works if you have to boot in 32-bit mode, because I thought the last version of OS X that supported 32-bit was Snow Leopard! But definitely all OS X versions following that are 64-bit only. So the answer to your question is no, Mountain Lion and Mavericks do not support the "arch=i386" flag.

I'm surprised Lion even works if you have to boot in 32-bit mode, because I thought the last version of OS X that supported 32-bit was Snow Leopard! But definitely all OS X versions following that are 64-bit only. So the answer to your question is no, Mountain Lion and Mavericks do not support the "arch=i386" flag.

Here's some info on this topic: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4485/back-to-the-mac-os-x-107-lion-review/21

Just yesterday I upgraded an original Unibody 2006 Macbook Pro. It was for an older man who was retired and just uses it for email. It was in perfect condition. Said he paid over $2600 dollars for it in 2006. Has the still beautiful 17" screen. Since it had a 64 bit capable Core 2 Duo CPU paired with 32 bit EFI he could still upgrade to Lion. The reason he could do this is because Lion was the last version to support 32 bit EFI. Lion though, unlike SL requires a 64 bit CPU to run OS X.

Any Core 2 Duo Mac that cannot boot 64 bit EFI is limited to Lion as the newest OS it can run. That switch happened with Mountain Lion. I had thought he could upgrade to at least Yosemite with his Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro but found this out after some research on Everymac.com. Any of the 2007 and newer MBPs can upgrade all the way to El Capitan if they have 2 Gigs or more of ram.

Hey there.Actually, my pc supports 64 bits mode, but my graphic card doesn't support. So, to make it works I need start in 32 bits mode, otherwise, the card won't work :(

Hey there.Actually, my pc supports 64 bits mode, but my graphic card doesn't support. So, to make it works I need start in 32 bits mode, otherwise, the card won't work :(

Why not just buy another GT210 and use that with this system then ?

Yes, I am willing it. Do you recommend me another graphic card of this kind? Or do you consider this still a good option?

The 8400GS & 9400GT also the 8800GT, GTS is also 64bit. You could go with a ATI Radeon 5450 which works in OS X pretty good.

Thanks a lot, man! I should to buy 210 again, since I know that OS will recognize without any problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back