Contribute
Register

Is there any hackintoshes that provide a 'native' minimal fuss experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
<< need manufacturer and model # >> See Forum Rules !!
CPU
Graphics
1080ti FTW3
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi, Ive been reading alot, and it appears hackintoshes generally cause a few headaches. i am quite keen to build one but the whole issue of worrying what to update/when to, things not working is putting me off.
I like the idea of making your own PC and putting in components that arent available in mac (specifically graphics cards) but is it really worth the trouble?

Is there any builds that work *almost* flawlessy in terms of USB, sleep mode, software updates through the app store, bluetooth working for wireless trackpad and keyboard without getting down to nitty gritty problem?

If i stick to the recommended Custobuilds, will it provide this experience?

All i really want is a mac with a powerful graphics card! Macminis would have been perfect if they stuck a real graphics card in there!
So, feedback would be appreciated..

The Custobuilds are really good to follow for a minimal fuss set up. The UP5 for example has power management working out of the box, USBs work fine as well. I have an older graphics card so can't advise on that side as I had to fiddle with some kexts to get mine to work, but the Intel HD4000 worked without an issue.

There is always the possibility an update is going to break something, so worth holding out till people have reported back. On mine when I did the last update to 10.8.2 I just had to run multi beast again to reinstall Audio and LAN drivers as they'd stopped working, that's fairly simple though.

If you want a totally hassle free experience then buy a real Mac, if you want a more rewarding experience and a bit of minimal fuss then use the CustoMac buyers guide to select parts and build it yourself.

Thank you, it just appears im reading left, right and centre, wifi not working, video cards failing, hdmi ports not working, USB 3.0 cant accept USB 2.0 devices, sleep issues, and its overwhelming and think wow.

I recognise its rewarding hence my desire to build one, and im aware things can go wrong, i just want them to go wrong as minimal as possible!

As long as you buy correctly then it should not be a problem. My USB 3.0 ports accept USB 2.0 devices (haven't got any 3 devices to test that side yet), got the TP Link WDN4800 card as suggested by the 2012 CustoMac guide and that just works, not setting up required. It took me a couple of days to figure out to get my Asus HD5850 working in Mountain Lion, once I'd cracked that haven't had any issues with it an can play Mac Games and Open CL is working.

I have a MBP as well and I'd say my Hackintosh is as stable now. I followed the CustoMac 2012 guide (apart from GPU), and read up on the user build section of posts that had the hardware I was interested in and it's been a fairly painless experience. The few teething issues I have had (and compared to the first hackintosh I built they've been minuscule), are more than worth the saving in money compared to what a Mac of similar specs would have cost me.

As far as ive heard the GA-Z77-DS3H is the easy way to go, no dsdt required and almost everything works out of the box. And most GTX 6 series cards are supported through the install method aswell. As far as i know the 650 works natively.

But im quite a noob and just say what ive read here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back