Contribute
Register

Is there an up to date Win 10 Install Guide for Hack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-UD5
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys,
My son (12) is asking me to install Windows for some additional gaming options. I used to run this machine dual boot with windows 5 or 6 years ago, but haven't since then. I've read several of the posts on this forum and I was wondering if there is an up-to-date Win 10 Install Guide around for Hacks? I have my work computer at home, which is Windows based, but not sure that I'll be able to use it to download the Win ISO and create the USB on that machine. Is using OSX a no go to create a bootable USB install drive?

Any help is appreciated! System specs in my signature. Thanks!!

You can use your Win10 work computer to download the ISO and create a USB installer. You can also create it using Mac OS terminal.
The easiest method can be found here (use the Win10 PC):

Basically, you can follow these steps:
Create the USB on the Win10 PC.
Shut down the boy's PC-Mac, install a SSD for Win10, disconnect the SATA cable for the Mac drive.
Insert Win10 install USB, boot and use the system hot key to select a boot device (Asus F8, MSI F11, Gigabyte F12, etc.) find the UEFI version of the USB and boot with it. Install Win10. Update it, create user accounts, install game software if you have it on hand. Shutdown.
Reconnect the Mac OS drive, boot to BIOS/UEFI and set the Mac OS drive as first in BBS boot order. Save&exit, continue boot. At the Clover selection screen boot Mac OS as usual icon, boot Win10 with the "boot Windows EFI from EFI" icon.

Last edited:
Hi,
I have a problem installing windows 10, so my mainboard is z390 gaming x and my wife's setup is z390m gaming. Both mains uses 2x M.2.
In windows installer it failed to see any drives and error "No drivers your device needs can be found". I tried diskpart where it sees the volumes just fine, clean, convert mbr and set drive to active and format to NTFS won't help the installer to see it. I also tried the same steps under optimised bios to see any luck but no help so far.
Anyone has any clue? I've been digging around for 2 days now and pretty tired :( I see some guides said it's pretty simple but the installer never wants to detect the drive.

FYI I tried both legacy usb 2.0 and 3.0 no different. USB drive has no problem and created using terminal in Mac, previously using Rufus as well, both given same results even BIOS changes boot to UEFI only.

In windows installer it failed to see any drives and error "No drivers your device needs can be found". I tried diskpart where it sees the volumes just fine, clean, convert mbr and set drive to active and format to NTFS won't help the installer to see it. I also tried the same steps under optimised bios to see any luck but no help so far.
Have you tried connecting a Sata SSD or HDD ? If not try installing to one and then clone that install to your NVME drive.

Have you tried connecting a Sata SSD or HDD ? If not try installing to one and then clone that install to your NVME drive.
Will give it a try, i have an external hdd. To be clear you mean external one right? since if I connect anything to mobo it faced the same faith. By cloning, just copy and paste?

Will give it a try, i have an external hdd. To be clear you mean external one right? since if I connect anything to mobo it faced the same faith. By cloning, just copy and paste?
:(
1587784436854.png

1587784450986.png

1587784462539.png

If a device driver is missing error comes up like this try inserting the driver dvd that came with the board. The big question is which driver is missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back