Contribute
Register

Is there a workaround for Apple pulling FireWire support?

Not to kick a dead horse lol but .. by Only have a single Video chipset vendor Apple Removed one source of competition and innovation. I kind of Like it that AMD and Intel have to Fight each other for market share.

That's what Apple is doing with their M1/M2/etc. processors - and it will keep Both AMD and Intel .. worried and Innovating!

I'm a bit of a believer in free markets and wish Apple hadn't basically killed the nVidia chipset market for Apple. I don't play games but understand it was preferred if you had the money and it was Certainly preferred for any 3d rendering by all the major players.

I think Nvidia shot themselves in the foot with unreliable hardware. If they didn't have all those hardware failures, Apple may have stuck with them longer.

Even after Apple stopped offering Nvidia options from the factory, Nvidia still sold video cards to Mac/hackintosh users and offered web drivers available for download. That's why Pascal cards worked in Mac OS X. But they decided to drop those efforts.

As far as I know, Cuda is still the most popular GPGPU platform. But even when Nvidia GPUs were available as an option from Apple, Cuda was never supported out of the box. Users had to use Nvidia's web drivers to get Cuda support.

Had Intel not sat on their hands for so long, I don't even know if Apple Silicon Macs would exist. Intel has no one to blame but themselves for the resurgence of AMD and the rise of Apple Silicon.

I think Nvidia shot themselves in the foot with unreliable hardware. If they didn't have all those hardware failures, Apple may have stuck with them longer.

Even after Apple stopped offering Nvidia options from the factory, Nvidia still sold video cards to Mac/hackintosh users and offered web drivers available for download. That's why Pascal cards worked in Mac OS X. But they decided to drop those efforts.

As far as I know, Cuda is still the most popular GPGPU platform. But even when Nvidia GPUs were available as an option from Apple, Cuda was never supported out of the box. Users had to use Nvidia's web drivers to get Cuda support.

Had Intel not sat on their hands for so long, I don't even know if Apple Silicon Macs would exist. Intel has no one to blame but themselves for the resurgence of AMD and the rise of Apple Silicon.
I'd run 2-3 nVidia top of the line cards in a box for 3D rendering and was Not unhappy with their driver or hardware quality? Lost track of that market so I have no idea who is on top now?

Don't get me Started about Intel lol - how in the World did Intel .. who Invented microprocessors basically .. drop the ball on their process technology to the point where TSMC is now the Leader??? Just a .. Total Fail!!!

And now the US is playing games with China to limit the best technology even being Sold to them .. so .. guess what .. China will take their Massive # of engineers and patents (they produce Engineers .. We produce .. Lawyers lol) and come up with their Own technology. Politics causing .. Yet More .. grief and waste? ahhhhhhh!!!

I'd run 2-3 nVidia top of the line cards in a box for 3D rendering and was Not unhappy with their driver or hardware quality? Lost track of that market so I have no idea who is on top now?

Don't get me Started about Intel lol - how in the World did Intel .. who Invented microprocessors basically .. drop the ball on their process technology to the point where TSMC is now the Leader??? Just a .. Total Fail!!!

And now the US is playing games with China to limit the best technology even being Sold to them .. so .. guess what .. China will take their Massive # of engineers and patents (they produce Engineers .. We produce .. Lawyers lol) and come up with their Own technology. Politics causing .. Yet More .. grief and waste? ahhhhhhh!!!

Skylake and 14nm were good. Very good. Good enough that they were able to milk it for years generating lots of profits. But they didn't reinvest in their fabs and couldn't get beyond 14nm for a very long time...

Fortunately, TSMC and Taiwan are US allies. With President Xi in power, I don't disagree with the decision to limit exports to China. There's no telling what Xi and Putin may do... Fortunately, from what I've read, China is still quite a few years behind in chip design and manufacturing. I feel that trying to prevent them from making advanced weapons is wise.

Fortunately, TSMC and Taiwan are US allies. With President Xi in power, I don't disagree with the decision to limit exports to China. There's no telling what Xi and Putin may do... Fortunately, from what I've read, China is still quite a few years behind in chip design and manufacturing. I feel that trying to prevent them from making advanced weapons is wise.
It would be Nice if they were restricted to using an Abacus lol but .. Reality indicates they are resourceful and Dedicated (they went to the Moon in 2009).

So .. finding a way to get into bed with them as allies makes more sense than having them as enemies (keep your friends close and your .. Enemies .. Closer lol) but .. yeah .. a bit harder to implement safely than to imagine?

But I'd far rather they depend on us for their tech than put $$ into developing their own independent programs? I want them to .. Need us .. just like honestly .. we Need China for our Economy to be successful.

We need to be unreplaceable to each other .. that's the Only real safety? Or .. Illusion of .. Safety??

It would be Nice if they were restricted to using an Abacus lol but .. Reality indicates they are resourceful and Dedicated (they went to the Moon in 2009).

So .. finding a way to get into bed with them as allies makes more sense than having them as enemies (keep your friends close and your .. Enemies .. Closer lol) but .. yeah .. a bit harder to implement safely than to imagine?

But I'd far rather they depend on us for their tech than put $$ into developing their own independent programs? I want them to .. Need us .. just like honestly .. we Need China for our Economy to be successful.

We need to be unreplaceable to each other .. that's the Only real safety? Or .. Illusion of .. Safety??

Going to space isn't all that impressive to me. Bezos, Musk, and Branson have proven that it just takes cash.

But, yes, China is quite good at copying/stealing tech. Luckily, it appears that they still have a long way to go before they catch up fully.

Going to space isn't all that impressive to me. Bezos, Musk, and Branson have proven that it just takes cash.

But, yes, China is quite good at copying/stealing tech. Luckily, it appears that they still have a long way to go before they
Well .. to be Honest .. you Do need the 'massive power' of the 1st TI calculator to land on the moon lol (amazing they pulled that off with such Low tech??)

And I kind of liked B. F. Skinner's Operant Conditioning that would have used Pigeons as the guidance system for missiles!!

But .. who needs .. Any of that??? A decent High School had the tech not modify E. coli bacteria 10 Years ago .. and now we are just fabricating building blocks for the parts of cells enabling someone with Intelligence and Will to create a 'Satan Bug' with Gene Drive that will take us All out!!

As to copying?? Good artists borrow .. Great artists .. Steal!!

Well .. to be Honest .. you Do need the 'massive power' of the 1st TI calculator to land on the moon lol (amazing they pulled that off with such Low tech??)

And I kind of liked B. F. Skinner's Operant Conditioning that would have used Pigeons as the guidance system for missiles!!

But .. who needs .. Any of that??? A decent High School had the tech not modify E. coli bacteria 10 Years ago .. and now we are just fabricating building blocks for the parts of cells enabling someone with Intelligence and Will to create a 'Satan Bug' with Gene Drive that will take us All out!!

As to copying?? Good artists borrow .. Great artists .. Steal!!

Don't forget that it's not just the chip designs themselves they need to copy... They also need something like ASML lithography machines.

Don't forget that it's not just the chip designs themselves they need to copy... They also need something like ASML lithography machines.
I used to invest in semiconductor stocks with a position in Cymer .. which got .. Sold to ASML. Cymer was San Diego based and had very cool EUV lithography. ASML was traded as ASMLF (foreign) and we sold it to them lol

I used to invest in semiconductor stocks with a position in Cymer .. which got .. Sold to ASML. Cymer was San Diego based and had very cool EUV lithography. ASML was traded as ASMLF (foreign) and we sold it to them lol

You're lucky it's "used to". Lol. Semis have had a very rough year.

Back