Contribute
Register

Is there a workaround for Apple pulling FireWire support?

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z270XP-SLI
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just discovered that Ventura can see my FireWire card but they have apparently decided in their infinite wisdom to remove their FireWire stack.

Is there a workaround? Monterey still provides FireWire support. The card shows Up as normal but .. there's no protocol stack as they seemed to have also killed kext drivers?

FireWire is extensively used in Music (Apple Developed Firewire originally .. ironically) so I'd rather not toss my $1000+ FireFace 400 interface for a Whim of Apple.

That sucks. Does the interface has usb option ? or only firewire ?

I just discovered that Ventura can see my FireWire card but they have apparently decided in their infinite wisdom to remove their FireWire stack.

Is there a workaround? Monterey still provides FireWire support. The card shows Up as normal but .. there's no protocol stack as they seemed to have also killed kext drivers?

FireWire is extensively used in Music (Apple Developed Firewire originally .. ironically) so I'd rather not toss my $1000+ FireFace
Apparently, there's a new driver:

That sucks. Does the interface has usb option ? or only firewire ?
It just has FireWire (hence the FireFace name lol)

FireFace 400

It would cost about $2K to replace identical functionality.

This is why I now Refuse to buy Apple hardware.

I had a dual Xeon Massive RAM RAID MacPro for music.. but all that power was for Video editing.

Then Apple killed Final Cut Pro (used by All the studios) and replaced it with a dumbed down consumer version.

All that RAM never got Used and I had an Overkill screamer box that was barely utilized.

Everyone Dumped Final Cut Pro for Premiere and other solutions and I moved video production to Win10.

The expandable Mac Pro's were Excellent .. but .. if you kill off the software or kill off the Mac Pro or dumb it down or kill off essential (to some) components like FireWire then Apple just can't be counted on and I won't throw money at them.

Of course Apple and Microsoft are now just the same. Neither really gives a damn about their users And Apple just wants to sell new phones that I can't even Buy because I'd have to move immediately to a new version of IOS and they take a few Months to become remotely stable.

My New iPad Pro's after upgrading don't ring for incoming phone calls. My older iPad that Can't be ungraded to the latest iPadOS .. Does ring and works fine.

Of well .. enough ranting about things that will Never Change lol

FireWire is extensively used in Music (Apple Developed Firewire originally .. ironically) so I'd rather not toss my $1000+ FireFace 400 interface for a Whim of Apple.
I'm still using a Digidesign MBox2 (no driver since 10.9...): I have my main MacOS on a partition and I keep 10.9 for all things audio. I guess you could do the same with Ventura in an APFS container and whatever MacOS version in another one for your audio stuff. Considering the 30s that it takes to boot in another OS, it's not really an issue, except if you have to constantly switch between a software that only runs in Ventura and your audio stuff...

To be fair, I think the last Mac that shipped with Firewire was over a decade ago and those Macs aren't supported by Ventura.

To be fair, I think the last Mac that shipped with Firewire was over a decade ago and those Macs aren't supported by Ventura.
but a MacPro can use PCIe cards and there are a Lot of Audio users using FireWire because it .. Works!!

but .. yes .. I'm a Luddite lol and will have to upgrade my Audio Interface at some point.

But .. we are probably All here because we want to do things a certain way .. have a Better Video Card or better NVMe or more RAM than we can get with off-the-shelf Mac hardware?

I'm still using a Digidesign MBox2 (no driver since 10.9...): I have my main MacOS on a partition and I keep 10.9 for all things audio. I guess you could do the same with Ventura in an APFS container and whatever MacOS version in another one for your audio stuff. Considering the 30s that it takes to boot in another OS, it's not really an issue, except if you have to constantly switch between a software that only runs in Ventura and your audio stuff...
I haven't tried using multiple partitions with different versions of MacOS on the same Hackintosh?

So .. I could just partition my 1000 GB NVMe to run Monterey and Ventura and possibly keep my Data on yet another partition - with one OpenCore EFI to boot them?

Are there any Downsides to that? I use Carbon Copy for my backups .. and of course That has changed since Monterey (not to My liking lol) so I need to come up with a workable 'foolproof' plan!!

I spend so much time messing with my hardware and coming up with the 'perfect plan' that I don't seem to have much time for Anything Else lol??

but a MacPro can use PCIe cards and there are a Lot of Audio users using FireWire because it .. Works!!

but .. yes .. I'm a Luddite lol and will have to upgrade my Audio Interface at some point.

But .. we are probably All here because we want to do things a certain way .. have a Better Video Card or better NVMe or more RAM than we can get with off-the-shelf Mac hardware?

I haven't tried using multiple partitions with different versions of MacOS on the same Hackintosh?

So .. I could just partition my 1000 GB NVMe to run Monterey and Ventura and possibly keep my Data on yet another partition - with one OpenCore EFI to boot them?

Are there any Downsides to that? I use Carbon Copy for my backups .. and of course That has changed since Monterey (not to My liking lol) so I need to come up with a workable 'foolproof' plan!!

I spend so much time messing with my hardware and coming up with the 'perfect plan' that I don't seem to have much time for Anything Else lol??
I've always done that (and on the same drive!), but I'm still at 10.14 for my main OS. Search for a related article (in the last month, I think) at https://eclecticlight.co/. I'll put it here if I find it. There's even a possibility of 2 MacOS in the same APFS container, but to avoid inconsistencies they'd better be of the same version. The (well known in the Mac community) author of that blog said that it's better to have 2 APFS containers.
You'll have to check if both MacOS versions boot with the same OC/Clover settings: if they are different, Clover is able to manage it with the same EFI, while OC will have 2 (the second EFI can be on a stick while both APFS containers can be on the same drive.

I've always done that (and on the same drive!), but I'm still at 10.14 for my main OS. Search for a related article (in the last month, I think) at https://eclecticlight.co/. I'll put it here if I find it. There's even a possibility of 2 MacOS in the same APFS container, but to avoid inconsistencies they'd better be of the same version. The (well known in the Mac community) author of that blog said that it's better to have 2 APFS containers.
You'll have to check if both MacOS versions boot with the same OC/Clover settings: if they are different, Clover is able to manage it with the same EFI, while OC will have 2 (the second EFI can be on a stick while both APFS containers can be on the same drive.
Wow! That's a Perfect solution! Let me know if you stumble across that other article you were thinking of?

I was very happy to note that on the same internal NVMe: "The advantage of doing this is that the two system installations share the same free space in that volume"

"However, it’s more complicated, with a hidden Recovery volume for each system, and you may find the two systems competing for the same space. If anything goes wrong with that container, then you’re likely to lose both boot volume groups."

I wonder if containers on an NVMe ever get .. Corrupt? I'll worry a bit more about that now that I can't make a bootable External SSD using Carbon Copy?

I think I'll let the dust settle a bit with Ventura and IOS? My new Series 8 Apple watch doesn't even show Up as one of the choices to unlock in Security & Privacy (but Does show up in on the Apple ID app)

Here are the articles I was thinking about:

I wonder if containers on an NVMe ever get .. Corrupt?
Containers themselves don't get corrupt but what most of the people don't think of is that the APFS norm is constantly evolving (https://eclecticlight.co/2022/11/08/does-apple-maintain-apfs-in-older-macos/ and https://eclecticlight.co/2022/04/01/a-brief-history-of-apfs-in-honour-of-its-fifth-birthday/), hence the recommendation to use separate containers for 2 different OSes instead of one that a) share the same Recovery volume and b) use a slightly different APFS version...
In my case, I have my SSD with 2 APFS containers (both 10.14) plus an HFS+ partition for 10.9 and the same OC EFI (currently 0.8.6), all working perfectly. ;)
If you want to resize your current container, you'll probably have to use Terminal (search for some tutorial about "diskutil apfs resizeContainer") — I don't know if Disk Utility can manage it or if it's just able to create a new volume in the existing container.

Back