Contribute
Register

Is there a way to add the (fn) key to the System Preferences > Keyboard > Modifier Keys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
asus
CPU
intel i5
Graphics
onboard
So I have a hackintosh on top of a Dell XPS13 and everything works fine. I would like to swap my CTRL and FN keys, but Dell bioses will not let you do this. So I have to do it in the OS.

I have noticed in the "System Preferences > Keyboard > Modifier Keys" that the Fn key is not listed. I though maybe I am missing a kext or it's simply not doable? I am very new to this so not sure where to troubleshoot this.

Thanks a lot!

I would like to swap my CTRL and FN keys, but Dell bioses will not let you do this. So I have to do it in the OS.

I have noticed in the "System Preferences > Keyboard > Modifier Keys" that the Fn key is not listed. I though maybe I am missing a kext or it's simply not doable?

@brucew14,

As there is no industry standard for dealing with the "fn" key, different manufactures implement the "fn" key is different ways. On most laptops and keyboards the "fn" key is handled at a low hardware level within the keyboard matrix controller and switches between returning system exclusive events (such as brightness, volume and WiFi controls) and standard function keys (F1-F12) ... the "fn" key itself does not generate a standard ISO key code response within an operating system, as such the "fn" key in most cases can not be used as a modifier key.

You can test if this is the case on your laptop with the "Key Codes" app that you can download for free from here :-

Run the app and check the box at the top called "Log key up events and modifier changes"

Now press all the modifier keys on your laptop (or keyboard), in almost all cases you see "SHIFT", "CTRL", "CMD (WIN KEY)" and "OPT (ALT)" all generate a standard ISO key code response but the "fn" key will not generate any key code.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Jay, thanks a lot for your time and great explanation. That would confirm the fact that it needs to be modified in the bios then. Too bad Dell won't do it!

Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back