Contribute
Register

Is the download of Mavericks tied to an Apple User ID?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
2 x R9 280X
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Hi,
I think this is a simple question but I can't find the find answer, my Google-Fu seems poor today.

I'm trying to find out if a download of Mavericks OS X is tied to a particular Apple ID. I know that 3rd party application ARE tied to a userid, but I have seen posts saying that downloading Mavericks is AND isn't tied to the Apple User ID.

The reason for the question is that I want to sell my old Mac Pro 1,1 (upgraded to eight cores, 16GB blah blah blah) and it will fetch a lot more if it has Mavericks on it as opposed to Mountain Lion. I'm doing more and more vido work and a homebuilt i4770 3.4Ghz with dual 5770 is 2.5x faster for what I do. I don't want to install Mavericks on the Mac Pro and the buyer not be able to use it because he needs my Apple ID.

I have an iMac and a Macbook Pro so can easily download OS X (and have done so). I can't simply try it out on the Mac Pro as its currently in use as an ESXI 5.5 server supporting around 10 VM's, including my firewall, so its a major hassle to pull it, try it and then have to put everything back together again.

I did think about md5'ing the OS X Install but since I only have one user ID I have nothing to check it against.

Any and all advice welcomed.

Thanks

Rob

Hi,
I think this is a simple question but I can't find the find answer, my Google-Fu seems poor today.

I'm trying to find out if a download of Mavericks OS X is tied to a particular Apple ID. I know that 3rd party application ARE tied to a userid, but I have seen posts saying that downloading Mavericks is AND isn't tied to the Apple User ID.

The actual download is not tied in any way to a particular Apple ID nor to any particular Mac. The fact that you downloaded it is tied to your records in the App store so you can download it again if needed without having to pay again (if you paid the first time).
You can safely upgrade your 1,1 to Mavericks (if it will handle it) and sell it and the buyer will have no need for your Apple ID. There is no installation serial number/activation code involved as there is in Windows.

That great.

The Mac Pro 1,1 was running Mavericks 10.9.2 but I was finding it slow for video work, the cost of more memory was eye-wateringly high, so I moved to a i4770 based Hackintosh which was at least twice as quick.

I then moved the Mac Pro 1,1 to run ESXI 5.5 which was remarkably easy and quite effective, only four files needed to make it all work. The Mac Pro happily supports 10VM's including OS X Server running a caching service.

However I can sell the Mac Pro and get a new motherboard which supports cheaper (and faster) memory, better CPU's and probably more power efficient as well. With the change left over I can also buy an R280x for video work.

Thanks for the helpful reply.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back