Contribute
Register

Is the contents of my Install USB complete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS TUF Z390M-PRO GAMING
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Sorry I am brand new to anything this. I just created my usb install drive. My USB mounts as "Install macOS High Sierra" drive on my desktop and has 3 files: (EFI-Backups), (Install macOS High Sierra.app), and (MultiBeast - High Sierra Edition).

What concerns me is that EFI-Backups folder is empty. And there was a drive mounted on my desktop along with this one called EFI, but it disappeard when I took the usb drive out of computer. Was I supposed to do something with that?

I appreciate any responses. If my USB with the three files as listed above (EFI-Backups is empty) is correct please let me know.

Sorry I am brand new to anything this. I just created my usb install drive. My USB mounts as "Install macOS High Sierra" drive on my desktop and has 3 files: (EFI-Backups), (Install macOS High Sierra.app), and (MultiBeast - High Sierra Edition).

What concerns me is that EFI-Backups folder is empty. And there was a drive mounted on my desktop along with this one called EFI, but it disappeard when I took the usb drive out of computer. Was I supposed to do something with that?

I appreciate any responses. If my USB with the three files as listed above (EFI-Backups is empty) is correct please let me know.
all seems fine

EFI can be mounted with EFI mounter software if you need to edit contents on the USB installer

Thanks for reply feartech. Actually I went ahead and followed the instructions for creating the install USB again and I have two drives appeared/mounted again on my desktop. "Install macOS High Sierra" and "EFI". The EFI drive has EFI folder containing "Boot", "Clover" and "Clover_Install_Log.txt". These seem important and necessary for installation on a new machine. I dragged the EFI folder onto the "Install macOS" drive this time. But it seems weird to me. Was the EFI drive contents supposed to be on the USB? Why didn't UniBeast put the EFI contents on the USB? Not even sure if it will work the way I just copied it over.

Thanks for reply feartech. Actually I went ahead and followed the instructions for creating the install USB again and I have two drives appeared/mounted again on my desktop. "Install macOS High Sierra" and "EFI". The EFI drive has EFI folder containing "Boot", "Clover" and "Clover_Install_Log.txt". These seem important and necessary for installation on a new machine. I dragged the EFI folder onto the "Install macOS" drive this time. But it seems weird to me. Was the EFI drive contents supposed to be on the USB? Why didn't UniBeast put the EFI contents on the USB? Not even sure if it will work the way I just copied it over.
the guide doesn't say anything about copying or moving the efi folder from the efi partition

you need the efi folder in the efi partition for it to work

unibeast does all the work for you

So the EFI partition is supposed to be on the USB drive? When I look at /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility under External -> SanDisk Cruzer all I see is "Install macOS High Sierra", I don't see two partitions. The EFI seems to only exist on the desktop, not part of the USB drive. The first time I made the USB I unplugged it from the computer and both folders/drives disappeared from the desktop (as would be expected) but when I plugged it back in only the "Install macOS" drive reappeared - the EFI drive didn't. should I be able to see both partitions in Disk Utility and/or both mount when I plug it back into the macbook?
Sorry for all the questions, I may not have access to this macbook when I do install.

Last edited:
So the EFI partition is supposed to be on the USB drive? When I look at /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility under External -> SanDisk Cruzer all I see is "Install macOS High Sierra", I don't see two partitions. The EFI seems to only exist on the desktop, not part of the USB drive. The first time I made the USB I unplugged it from the computer and both folders/drives disappeared from the desktop (as would be expected) but when I plugged it back in only the "Install macOS" drive reappeared - the EFI drive didn't. should I be able to see both partitions in Disk Utility and/or both mount when I plug it back into the macbook?
Sorry for all the questions, I may not have access to this macbook when I do install.
it will only appear when you run a software called efi mounter:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/efi-mounter-v3.280/

it won't show in diskutil

this is not a problem. it is as it should be

Thank you feartech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back