Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm getting together my hack bits and need some RAM. Can I use any deal I can find or is some better than others? Suggestions?

My mobo is a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

The Gigabyte web site page for the Z68X-UD3H has a button to the right of the Z68X-UD3H picture, entitled "Memory Support List," that has a list of tested compatible memory for the mobo. :eek:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3853#ov

As for recommended memory, I recommend the Corsair Vengeance Low Profile, White. From my build description: "...another moderator called my attention to the new (at this time) Corsair Vengeance Low Profile White 2x4GB, 1.35v (!), CLS 9, memory modules which had glowing reviews and great headroom for OC'ing. Additionally, the modules are fin-less which means I can use the Scythe Mugan 2/3 CPU cooler which all my fellow moderators swear by..."

Corsair Vengeance Low Profile While 16GB (2x2x4GB) CML8GX3M2A1600C9W Memory Amazon || Newegg

In short, yes (mostly). Ram is ram, usually any module from a good brand (corsair, g.skill, mushkin, etc.) will work with any motherboard ( with the obvious condition that you match up types eg ddr3 ram with a ddr3 mobo). Though you are better going with the ram on your mobo's comparability list just in case (some rare cases where one manufacturer's ram is incompatible). Also note that there are various qualities of ram, (eg $30 8gb basic kit will general not be as good as a $45-50 pair of ripjaws-x or corsair vengeance).

Personally I prefer g.skill though I have some corsair in my hack as it was on sale for an unbeatable price at the time, and it works fine :)

If you dig deep enough, you'd probably find they all use the same parts or similar parts (for the same specifications). All these RAM chips come only from a few semiconductor factories. It's not like Brand-X has their own chip foundry.

The rest is just marketing and buyer perception... i.e. what is the flavor of the month that PC builders are in love with right now? Who has the best marketing/PR at the moment? Give it a few more months, and when too many people are buying the same thing, someone will say hey check out this new memory thingamajig model NANO-CRYSTAL-JAWS-XTREME... it's flat black, very bad ass looking... it's better than the others.

powerpcg5 said:
If you dig deep enough, you'd probably find they all use the same parts or similar parts (for the same specifications). All these RAM chips come only from a few semiconductor factories. It's not like Brand-X has their own chip foundry.

The rest is just marketing and buyer perception... i.e. what is the flavor of the month that PC builders are in love with right now? Who has the best marketing/PR at the moment? Give it a few more months, and when too many people are buying the same thing, someone will say hey check out this new memory thingamajig model NANO-CRYSTAL-JAWS-XTREME... it's flat black, very bad ass looking... it's better than the others.

Most do come from the same few fab lines, but much of the price difference is in the quality of the silicon. If the premium-brand company says that they require a rail tolerance of +/-.05%, and the parts are tested out as +/-0.2%, the premium-brand company won't want them, but Brand X is happy to take the parts at a lower cost and market them at a lower price.

Perry
KidPub Press

Great advice guys.... I bought the Corsair and should have everything here on Friday to do my first build. Can't wait. Thanks.

Gordo74 said:
Make sure it is 1.5v or lower.

This seems to be particularly important for Sandy Bridge systems as stated in many reviews. Watch out for some RAM like Kingston HyperX Blu 1600MHz which is higher voltage than 1.5V. I have six 4GB sticks of Kingston HyperX Blu 1333MHz which works perfectly since it is 1.5V. I am also using two 8GB sticks of Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz. I'm very happy with all of the memory really but the Corsair Vengeance has a tall heatsink which could cause you problems depending on your CPU cooler or case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back