Contribute
Register

Is OS X 10.8/ 10.9 compatible and is it worth the upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS PRIME B360M-A
CPU
i3-8100
Graphics
RX 580
Hey guys,
I have a working hackintosh set up running Snow Leopard 10.6.5 right now. I have been checking out videos of Mavericks and other later OS's and found some features that may be useful to me. However, I don't want to mess up the fully functional build I have right now just for a few useful features. So what I am wondering is those of you who have experience upgrading from 10.6.x to later OS's, is it worth the risk and fairly easy? I didn't have any issues with hardware compatibility installing Snow Leopard.
Here are my specs:

ASUS Maximus III Gene motherboard
Intel i5 running at 2.8ghz
4 gb corsair memory
EVGA NVidia GeForce 250 GTS 1GB
1 TB dedicated OS X drive and 1 TB dedicated Windows 7 drive.

Any help or feedback is appreciated.
Cheers!

Hey guys,
I have a working hackintosh set up running Snow Leopard 10.6.5 right now. I have been checking out videos of Mavericks and other later OS's and found some features that may be useful to me. However, I don't want to mess up the fully functional build I have right now just for a few useful features. So what I am wondering is those of you who have experience upgrading from 10.6.x to later OS's, is it worth the risk and fairly easy? I didn't have any issues with hardware compatibility installing Snow Leopard.
Here are my specs:

ASUS Maximus III Gene motherboard
Intel i5 running at 2.8ghz
4 gb corsair memory
EVGA NVidia GeForce 250 GTS 1GB
1 TB dedicated OS X drive and 1 TB dedicated Windows 7 drive.

Any help or feedback is appreciated.
Cheers!

If you don't want to mess with your Snow Leopard installation (you have not updated to 10.6.8 which is necessary before you can download Mavericks anyway), how about getting a new hard drive and trying to install a later version of OSX on that?

I believe your system should work with Mountain Lion / Mavericks.

That sounds like an unnecessary amount of hassle.. I have all my data backed up on external HD's and still have the flash drive with the 10.6.0 install that worked perfectly. Worst case scenario is I just reinstall Snow Leopard off the flash drive. Maybe I should try 10.6.8 first and then mavericks?

That sounds like an unnecessary amount of hassle.. I have all my data backed up on external HD's and still have the flash drive with the 10.6.0 install that worked perfectly. Worst case scenario is I just reinstall Snow Leopard off the flash drive. Maybe I should try 10.6.8 first and then mavericks?

I see no reason why you shouldn't upgrade to 10.6.8 at least. But you need to test to see if that works out for you first.

So the other day I updated to 10.6.8 without a hitch and based on the success of that decided to just take the plunge to Mavericks. Followed the tonymac guide to a T and was able to get everything fully functional on the first attempt! Noticed a huge increase in speed with the upgrade and can honestly say the only thing I am disappointed with in Mavericks is iTunes 11 :/

So the other day I updated to 10.6.8 without a hitch and based on the success of that decided to just take the plunge to Mavericks. Followed the tonymac guide to a T and was able to get everything fully functional on the first attempt! Noticed a huge increase in speed with the upgrade and can honestly say the only thing I am disappointed with in Mavericks is iTunes 11 :/

Good. Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back