Contribute
Register

Is my Toshiba Satellite S40t-A00t compatible with installing Yosemite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Windows 8
CPU
i5-3337U
Graphics
Nvidia GT740M Optimus + HD 4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and this whole hackintosh thing. So I recently found this forum to be quite active in turning pc into mac machines and people here are quite friendly and helpful in general. And now I got interested into installing Yosemite on my laptop but before I try that, I would like to seek some advice on what might and might not actually work on my laptop with the specifications below:

So my questions are,
1) Will I be able to use Nvidia GT740M after I install Mac os 10.10 Yosemite? Cuz I knew Macbook pro uses nvidia display card.

2) Will my trackpad function as good/well as the ones on Macbook air/pro?

3) Will I be able to use VGA or HDMI output after I install Mac os 10.10 Yosemite?

4) Will the touch screen capability be functional after I install Mac os 10.10 Yosemite?

Thank you so much for your attention and help.

SystemWindows 8
CPUi5-3337U (Dual Core 1.8 GHz - 2.7 GHz, 1600MHz FSB, 3MB L3 Cache)
GraphicsNvidia GT740M Optimus + HD 4000
Other HardwareChipset - Intel HM76
RAM - 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz
Wifi - Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter
Touchpad - Synaptics SMBus TouchPad
Audio - Realtek High Definition Audio

@RehabMan

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and this whole hackintosh thing. So I recently found this forum to be quite active in turning pc into mac machines and people here are quite friendly and helpful in general. And now I got interested into installing Yosemite on my laptop but before I try that, I would like to seek some advice on what might and might not actually work on my laptop with the specifications below:

So my questions are,
1) Will I be able to use Nvidia GT740M after I install Mac os 10.10 Yosemite? Cuz I knew Macbook pro uses nvidia display card.

2) Will my trackpad function as good/well as the ones on Macbook air/pro?

3) Will I be able to use VGA or HDMI output after I install Mac os 10.10 Yosemite?

4) Will the touch screen capability be functional after I install Mac os 10.10 Yosemite?

Thank you so much for your attention and help.

SystemWindows 8
CPUi5-3337U (Dual Core 1.8 GHz - 2.7 GHz, 1600MHz FSB, 3MB L3 Cache)
GraphicsNvidia GT740M Optimus + HD 4000
Other HardwareChipset - Intel HM76
RAM - 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz
Wifi - Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter
Touchpad - Synaptics SMBus TouchPad
Audio - Realtek High Definition Audio

@RehabMan

Read here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/laptop-compatibility/106791-laptop-compatibility.html

The discrete graphics capability in a switched dual-GPU configuration is not supported with OS X on hacks. Best you can do is disable the discrete part with SSDT/DSDT patches.

2. No. True multitouch is not supported. And the trackpad hardware on PCs is just not as good as on the Macs. Note: Some "SMBUS only" trackpad hardware is currently not supported by the driver (PS2 only).

3. VGA no. HDMI maybe.

4. Maybe, but is is not multitouch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/laptop-compatibility/106791-laptop-compatibility.html

The discrete graphics capability in a switched dual-GPU configuration is not supported with OS X on hacks. Best you can do is disable the discrete part with SSDT/DSDT patches.

2. No. True multitouch is not supported. And the trackpad hardware on PCs is just not as good as on the Macs. Note: Some "SMBUS only" trackpad hardware is currently not supported by the driver (PS2 only).

3. VGA no. HDMI maybe.

4. Maybe, but is is not multitouch.

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. What about the wifi and bluetooth?

so my laptop should be able to run Yosemite without issues depsite some hardware imcompatibilities right? I mean the main stuff like the cpu and ram and harddisk should work flawlessly right? Thanks!

Well, your CPU and Intel graphics are compatible. But this you should already know from reading at the links already provided.

Thanks for your reply. But what about installing yosemite and then run windows on it. Can I then get everything like wifi, graphic card etc to then work when I am running windows on top of mac os? And also is it possible to partition my harddisk into 2 parts to dual boot mac os and windows rather than running mac and then with windows on top of it?

Thanks for your reply. But what about installing yosemite and then run windows on it. Can I then get everything like wifi, graphic card etc to then work when I am running windows on top of mac os?

You can dual boot. I'm not sure of what you mean by "windows on top of mac os"?

Getting "everything" working on OS X is probably not going to happen. There are always at least a few problem areas... some of it depending on your skill. And you won't know for sure on certain things until you try (card reader and camera can be problem areas). Your WiFi chip is not compatible and will have to be replaced (assuming your BIOS doesn't implement a whitelist).

You can dual boot. I'm not sure of what you mean by "windows on top of mac os"?

Getting "everything" working on OS X is probably not going to happen. There are always at least a few problem areas... some of it depending on your skill. And you won't know for sure on certain things until you try (card reader and camera can be problem areas). Your WiFi chip is not compatible and will have to be replaced (assuming your BIOS doesn't implement a whitelist).

so part of the hardware won't be able to run. yep got that. But I knew there's a thing on mac os which it allows you to run windows on macbook (or running windows while mac os is the primary os). So if i install yosemite on my laptop and go ahead and install windows 8 and run on my laptop with my mac os as my primary os, will all the graphic card, wifi, bluetooth, etc work as if it was running its original os (i.e. windows)?

and by dual boot, i meant if i could parition my harddisk into 2 big chunck with one part of it running windows and the other running mac os so in case if windows or mac fails i can still use there working system/os.

thanks!

so part of the hardware won't be able to run. yep got that. But I knew there's a thing on mac os which it allows you to run windows on macbook (or running windows while mac os is the primary os). So if i install yosemite on my laptop and go ahead and install windows 8 and run on my laptop with my mac os as my primary os, will all the graphic card, wifi, bluetooth, etc work as if it was running its original os (i.e. windows)?

and by dual boot, i meant if i could parition my harddisk into 2 big chunck with one part of it running windows and the other running mac os so in case if windows or mac fails i can still use there working system/os.

thanks!

You seem to be referring to using a VM and .... a bit confused.

If you run OS X as the "primary os", I assume you mean you're going to run Windows as a VM within the OS X host? I haven't done it since I dual boot, but I'ver heard Parallels is one of the better VM host software for OS X.

But in that case, you'll have to get all the devices working on OS X. That tasks is independent of Windows.

If you're actually thinking of running OS X as a VM under Windows (Windows would be the host), keep in mind that isn't supported here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back