Contribute
Register

Is my older build compatible with High Sierra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Socket 1155 (rev. 1.1)
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

My Wife built this desktop based on what seems to be the 2013 build spec suggestions. It ran for a while then she had some issues and computer has sat for a year or so. I'd like to resurrect it and start fresh with the latest High Sierra OS if possible. Thanks for any help!

Here are the build specs:

Case:
Corsair Carbide Series 500R (White)
CPU:
Intel Core i7 3770
Motherboard:
Graphics:
EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti
Power Supply:
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650
Hard drives:
SanDisk Extreme SSD 120GB SATA
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD SATA
Memory:
Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (8GB x 2) 1333MHz DDR3
Bluetooth Adapter:
Iogear USB Bluetooth 4.0

Hello,

My Wife built this desktop based on what seems to be the 2013 build spec suggestions. It ran for a while then she had some issues and computer has sat for a year or so. I'd like to resurrect it and start fresh with the latest High Sierra OS if possible. Thanks for any help!

Here are the build specs:

Case:
Corsair Carbide Series 500R (White)
CPU:
Intel Core i7 3770
Motherboard:
Graphics:
EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti
Power Supply:
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650
Hard drives:
SanDisk Extreme SSD 120GB SATA
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD SATA
Memory:
Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (8GB x 2) 1333MHz DDR3
Bluetooth Adapter:
Iogear USB Bluetooth 4.0

Not sure about the USB Bluetooth adapter, but otherwise the system should be compatible with MacOS High Sierra, BUT ....

Your graphics card is known to have graphics glitch problems in High Sierra. It is a well known problem here with no solution. I suggest you go with a slightly older version like Sierra instead.

Thank you very much for the info!

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced alternative to the graphics card we currently have that would be at least as capable and not cause issues?

Thank you very much for the info!

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced alternative to the graphics card we currently have that would be at least as capable and not cause issues?

If you don't mind replacing your graphics card, you can consider an AMD RX 560 / RX 570 / RX 580. These cards are natively supported as of High Sierra 10.13.4 and later. I have a Sapphire RX 560 myself which works great in MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and Sierra 10.12.6 (in Sierra the Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts are required). If you want better performance you may consider the 570 or 580.

I think I will try and run sierra for now to get up and running, then look into an upgrade later on.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back