Contribute
Register

Is it safe to go i7 7700k and the new 200 series mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Ga-Z270-Gaming K3
CPU
Intel i7700k
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 1060 OC 6Gb
Hello all!

This is my second time building a hackintosh.
The first time I used all components I already have. This time I will be buying almost everything.

Main goal: A dual boot machine with MacOs (the latest possible) for video and large graphics editing and UI design, and Win10 for gaming and everything else a mac can´t do.

Already Decided:
Processor: i7 7700k
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060
RAM: 2x - Crucial Ballistix Sport It 8gb 2400mhz
Storage: Samsung EVO 850 250Gb

Not sure yet:
Motherboard: 200 series ?

Will keep from my current build:
Case: CM Storm Scout
Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB
Mouse: Razer Deathadder
PSU: XFX 600w
Monitor: 27" full hd - Samsung

I´ve read some user build posts where the mentioned specs are working, but since I´ll be buying some different components I thought it would be good to start a new thread.

I decided to go with a 200 series mobo for 2 main reasons:
- It should last longer if I decide to upgrade in the future.
- I don´t have an older intel processor to update the bios (I´m not sure if it is really necessary, but I am kinda traumatized cause the last time I bought a mobo, I lost a week looking for someone to lend me an old processor, and I ended up having to pay someone to do it...).

About the i7 7700k:
- I´ve read that I have to "fake id" something in the process to be abble to install it. Will it perform the same as the 6600k because of this? Will it perform faster or slower?

About the 200 series mobo:
- I´ve read that some BIOS settings are needed for it to work (mostly disabling things). Will this affect windows performance, specially in games somehow? Is there a list of "flawless" 200 series yet?

And I also feel tempted do ask:
- Is using a hackintosh harmful component wise? Taking into consideration that some of them are not fully supported yet.

It took YEARS for me to save the money needed to do this upgrade, that´s why I´m so concerned about messing or buying the wrong stuff.

Thanks!

Yes, it's perfectly safe to go with Kaby Lake now after what was announced at WWDC. No you won't do any harm to your hardware running macOS on it. It's pretty much the same as what Macs run on too. Get a 7700K with a Z270 motherboard. We're looking for Kaby Lake support in 10.12.6 by July so it's not too long to wait. Then you won't need to use a fake CPUID. :thumbup:

Screen_Shot_5_10_11_PM.jpg

Last edited:
Now that´s some GREAT news!

There´s a few models of Z270 mobo´s, is there any specific model I should be looking for?

Now that´s some GREAT news!

There´s a few models of Z270 mobo´s, is there any specific model I should be looking for?
It will depend what you will be using it for, what specific kind and amount of I/O that you need. It's always a safe bet to go with Gigabyte or Asus for your motherboard. Both are highly compatible. Which one specifically depends on what I said in the first sentence. Do you need Thunderbolt ? An onboard DP output for a 4K monitor ? HDMI 2.0 will not give you 4K @ 60Hz so if you won't use discrete graphics, best to get onboard DisplayPort. How many PCI-e x1 slots will you need for add in cards ? Figure these things out and then look at the various boards on the Gigabyte or Asus websites which will give you all the specs and details on each one.

I will be using mostly for graphics design (Adobe Suite, Sketch and Affinity), motion graphics and video editing (FinalCut, Premiere and After Effects), this on the Mac side. Windows will be towards gaming mainly.

I don´t have many peripherals besides the minimal required like Keyb. and Mouse (both USB):
- External Audio Card (m-audio Fast Track USB)
- 3 external drives

In the future I might add one more monitor and perhaps a wacom tablet, so we´re talking about using another port from the vga and one more USB port.

Is there anything crucial I might be missing?

Main thing then is a lot of USB ports onboard. It's best to always have one or two USB 2.0 for doing the install but all the rest can be USB 3.0.

Oh, I have a question about SSD´s, see if you know anything about it:
Does the SSD has to be the Samsung evo 850?
I currently have a Sangung evo 750 running windows, and where I live, the price difference is big..
The evo 750 increased it´s price A LOT, it now costs almost the double I paid last year.

I am wondering if I could save some cash by using a kingston or another cheaper alternative.

No. It's just a recommendation. Any standard SATA SSD should work fine.

There is one point i wanted to ask about the SSD he is going to use. You said any SATA is good whats with M.2 NVME ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back