Contribute
Register

Is it possible to use OSX's auto-boot? (+ a few more Q's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU
i7-6700K OC @ 4.5GHz
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is my first post on this forum, so: Hello to everyone! ;)

I have a few questions:

1. I read somewhere on the Web that it is possible to use OSX's auto-boot functionality (from the Energy Saver settings) on a Hackintosh. Is that true? I mean, that would be a great thing because it would enable me to use my soon-to-be media-server Hackintosh as an EyeTV-recorder.

2. Would this 9400 GT work? http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a361063.html (page in German, but item properties understandable, I think) I picked it for three reasons: (1) has a TV-out (we still own an old TV...), (2) is powerful enough, (3) has passive cooling.
The page says its chip is the G96b (D9M); is that one compatible?

Just found out that the chip is the same as that of the Sparkle 9400 GT 1GB from one of Tony's builds and as to what I know about graphics card compatibility, the difference in the amount of RAM shouldn't matter.

3. Is IDE installation support included in the "iBoot supported" package? I have a spare IDE DVD drive I'd like to use in this machine.

4. With iBoot, is it possible to install OSX to a software RAID0 created using Disk Utility?

5. Hm... there were a few more questions in my head when I started writing this post... If they pop up again, I'll post them here. :D

Thanks a lot for any input!

1. Don't know why it wouldn't work.
2. I would go with a 9600 or 9800. tonymac can explain why
3. JMicron36xATA is in iBoot to support the GSATA/JMicron ATA IDE ports.
4. It is possible but you'll have to research how to make it work.

MacMan said:

I hope he stumbles over this thread to explain. I'd rather like to use the 9400 since it's much cheaper and offers sufficient power—if there are no compatibility issues.

flatfoot said:
MacMan said:

I hope he stumbles over this thread to explain. I'd rather like to use the 9400 since it's much cheaper and offers sufficient power—if there are no compatibility issues.

Depends on which outputs you plan to use- there are some issues with my 9400 with DVI/VGA/S-VIDEO.

No problems whatsoever with 1 monitor. Works natively. You may have to do some fiddling for DVI + VGA and definitely for DVI + S=VIDEO. I used NVenabler + 10.6.1 Graphics kexts for 10.6.2, and haven't found a solution yet for 10.6.3. So this might be one of those cards that are in the process of "phase out".

That's why MacMan said go for a 9600 or 9800- no problem with dual monitors whatsoever. But for 1 monitor (or some tweaking for 2)- you can't go wrong with a 9400- mine has been rock solid. And silent ;)

Thank you very much for this clarification.
Just to make sure: Does only S-Video work under 10.6.3, too? That's the output I'm planning to use and it is not my intention to fiddle around too much. Else I'll have to bite the bullet and buy a more expensive card.

flatfoot said:
Thank you very much for this clarification.
Just to make sure: Does only S-Video work under 10.6.3, too? That's the output I'm planning to use and it is not my intention to fiddle around too much. Else I'll have to bite the bullet and buy a more expensive card.

I would go with a different card if I was buying today. Just tested S-Video only under Vanilla 10.6.3 and it did not work- apparently goes directly to the DVI and no second channel output. Although the DVI output was fine.

Me again...

Could anybody do me the favour and check whether it is possible on their 9600 or 9800 to use only the S-Video output?
As stated above, I'd like to use my rig-to-be as a media server linked to my old TV for direct video playback. I just want to make sure in advance that it is not necessary to have a DVI display attached to get the TV-out to work; only as secondary display so to speak.

Still itching... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back