Contribute
Register

Is it possible to use Chameleon bootloader for Yosemite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've been trying to get Yosemite to boot from the hard drive and I can't get it to. I installed Yosemite using Unibeast 5.0.1. and I managed to get audio, graphics and wifi to work after toying with it.

I was getting mach_kernal missing errors, but I took the mach_kernal from my fully functional Mavericks hard drive and copied it to the root of my Yosemite drive and now it gets past that error and stays at a screen with no loading or writing with the Chameleon background, then restarts. I am able to boot into both Mavericks and Windows 7 using the same bootloader. I didn't use Clover to install Yosemite, unless Unibeast 5.0.1. is Clover, but I don't think it is.

I booted into Verbose mode and I got the error in the screenshots below.

PS - Sorry for the not so good quality pics, and why they're rotated I have no clue. They got rotated after the upload. You can probably download them and rotate them in the Preview app.

Well, I just looked for the guide for installing Yosemite on any Intel supported PC and noticed that they use Multibeast to install Chimera bootloader, so maybe that is my problem, since I'm using Chameleon?

Attachments

• photo 12.jpg
    photo 12.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 449
  • photo 11.jpg
    photo 11.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 341
  • photo 10.jpg
    photo 10.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 403
  • photo 9.jpg
    photo 9.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 1,084
  • photo 8.jpg
    photo 8.jpg
    637 KB · Views: 311
  • photo 7.jpg
    photo 7.jpg
    576.4 KB · Views: 318
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 322
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    597.6 KB · Views: 316
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    552.4 KB · Views: 313
I've been trying to get Yosemite to boot from the hard drive and I can't get it to. I installed Yosemite using Unibeast 5.0.1. and I managed to get audio, graphics and wifi to work after toying with it.

I was getting mach_kernal missing errors, but I took the mach_kernal from my fully functional Mavericks hard drive and copied it to the root of my Yosemite drive

Bad idea. Yosemite has its own kernel in /System/Library/Kernels/kernel.

You need to install a bootloader that has the changes required to boot Yosemite.

Make sure you do not specify a name for kernel in org.chameleon.boot.plist.

That is, remove anything like:
Code:
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>

...as it is wrong for Yosemite and unnecessary for other versions of OS X anyway.

Bad idea. Yosemite has its own kernel in /System/Library/Kernels/kernel.

You need to install a bootloader that has the changes required to boot Yosemite.

Make sure you do not specify a name for kernel in org.chameleon.boot.plist.

That is, remove anything like:
Code:
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>

...as it is wrong for Yosemite and unnecessary for other versions of OS X anyway.

Or change that key to

Code:
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>/System/Library/Kernels/kernel</string>

Even if it's Yosemite-compatible, Chameleon r2401 can't find the Yosemite kernel for some reason.

I actually managed to get it to boot into the hard drive by installing Chimera 4.0.0 and installing kexts from my other hard drive. I'm still using the mach_kernal from my other drive and it's working, so as long as it works I will leave it alone. I'm trying different voodoops2controller.kexts to get my shortcuts for volume and brightness back right now.

Thanks for the help guys, but if it works I won't mess with it.

If you guys can help me find a voodoops2controller.kext that will give me back my media keys for volume and brightness with Chimera 4.0.0 and Yosemite on my Probook, I'd appreciate it. There's not even options to turn the function keys off or on in the System Preferences in the keyboard section, but I notice the media keys work when I boot into the Yosemite USB, but not when I boot to Yosemite disk.

Also just realized that OS X recognizes my processor speed as 800Mhz when it's 2.3 Ghz. Will that affect my performance?

Installing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext from Yosemite USB/Extra/Extensions.

We'll see how that goes. Even though people are friendly enough to help me, I can never understand what people are talking about because they need to explain things step by step and in pure dummy terms for me, so I can often not use the help they provide, so I toy with things over and over until I accidentally make things work. And research never gets me anywhere for some reason. LOL

Installing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext from Yosemite USB/Extra/Extensions.

We'll see how that goes. Even though people are friendly enough to help me, I can never understand what people are talking about because they need to explain things step by step and in pure dummy terms for me, so I can often not use the help they provide, so I toy with things over and over until I accidentally make things work. And research never gets me anywhere for some reason. LOL

Silly question maybe... maybe not...

why not just use clover?

If you guys can help me find a voodoops2controller.kext that will give me back my media keys for volume and brightness with Chimera 4.0.0 and Yosemite on my Probook, I'd appreciate it. There's not even options to turn the function keys off or on in the System Preferences in the keyboard section, but I notice the media keys work when I boot into the Yosemite USB, but not when I boot to Yosemite disk.

You need to patch DSDT properly so it includes the RM,oem-table-id injection on PS2K. You will see RM,oem-id already there. Your table-id is the 4-digit number in your DSDT header.

Such as:
Code:
#Maintained by: RehabMan for: HP Probook 4x30s/4x40s
# 14_ProBook-102key.txt

into method label _DSM parent_label PS2K remove_entry;
into device label PS2K insert
begin
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)\n
{\n
    If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero)) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }\n
    Return (Package()\n
    {\n
        "RM,oem-id", "HPQOEM",\n
        "RM,oem-table-id", "167C",\n
    })\n
}\n
end;

I appreciate it, RehabMan. I'll try to figure out what exactly the heck you mean. I'm sorry I'm such a newbie, but I am able to go quite far for such a newb. I had to figure out the proper terminal code for transferring the boot1h file to hard disk when I installed Snow Leopard for the first time by knowing the basic idea and guessing the rest because everyone kept giving me the wrong commands. I was sitting there typing stuff in repeatedly until it worked. I know guessing with the terminal is not smart, but I was a REAL newb then and I didn't care cause it was a fresh partition anyway.

@Rob1980: I tried Clover and it was apparently too complicated for me cause I couldn't get the audio, graphics or battery indicator to work no matter what I tried. I could only get wifi to work after I took some kext's from my working Mavericks install. Now since I switched to Chimera, I have everything working except iMessage (which is expected), and my media keys for controlling system volume and screen brightness. I honestly think Clover may have bugs at the moment. When I used the HP Probook installer Clover edition, I tried to patch my DSDT and the EFI folder would disappear and stuff. I doubt that is supposed to happen. I gave up on Clover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back