Contribute
Register

Is it possible to remove SL and keep Lion only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
My PC is now running Windows 7 (on 1 HDD), SL 10.6.8 and Lion 10.7.2 (on other HDD which is the priority boot HDD).

I got Lion working due to Tony method, which means I installed a fresh Lion on a partition apart from SL. Now I can only boot into Lion, Windows and Snow Leopard using Chimera boot loader installed on Snow Leopard. Whenever I install Chameleon R5 (not Chimera) on SL, I cannot boot into Lion, so I have to go back to Chimera then everything is OK.

Since installing Lion, I rarely use Snow Leopard, except when Lion doesn't work as mentioned above. So I think SL is not necessary for me. Plus, my HDD is nearly full :)

My question is: Could I remove Snow Leopard and keep Lion only? And how to make my PC dual boot without SL? Install Chimera on Lion?

Note: there is Extra folder in SL, but Lion has no Extra folder. I used to copy the Extra folder from SL to Lion but when booting into Lion, it didn't work (it seems that Lion has to load all kexts from that folder).

Any help would be highly appreciated!

I wouldn't do that until IBoot is capable of booting directly to Lion. If you have a problem booting Lion, you'll need the backup.

I don't think you should have any problem getting rid of your SL partition provided you prepare properly. You should be able to run multibeast from Lion to get Chimera installed on the Lion partition. You also need to make sure that you choose the same kexts/options in multibeast that you chose when you installed SL. The last thing to do would be to set the Lion partition to active. You should be able to go through all of these steps without even deleting SL. Once you set the Lion partition to active, you can test whether booting into Lion works and when you're sure it does, get rid of the SL partition. If you don't know how to make a partition active, I would recommend looking a this blog post: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/01/ ... eleon.html. Find the part that says "STEP 5: SET THE EFI PARTITION AS ACTIVE". You aren't making your EFI partition active, so you will have to adapt the steps a little to make sure you make your Lion partition active.

I found it better to actually use that entire guide to set up my EFI partition as the active one with the bootloader installed. I did it while I was still using SL, so when I upgraded to Lion I didn't even have to bother with moving the bootloader around. All I did was upgrade to Chimera on my EFI partition, delete SL and install Lion on the same partition that used to hold SL.

-AC3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back