Contribute
Register

Is it possible to boot mac os x with raid mode enabled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I currently have a dual ssd raid as my primary windows system on a gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H.
I also have a single ssd with a perfectly working mavericks install.

The problem is, currently to boot one or the other I need to switch from ahci to raid each time and keep them completely separate. Athough its not a show stopper it is annoying, is there a way to get this to work, say raid mode drivers for os x? I can live with the mac os part not being able to access the windows drives, but being able to use a boot loader to switch between the two would be great!

I currently have a dual ssd raid as my primary windows system on a gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H.
I also have a single ssd with a perfectly working mavericks install.

The problem is, currently to boot one or the other I need to switch from ahci to raid each time and keep them completely separate. Athough its not a show stopper it is annoying, is there a way to get this to work, say raid mode drivers for os x? I can live with the mac os part not being able to access the windows drives, but being able to use a boot loader to switch between the two would be great!

Sorry, no. OS X has to have AHCI as the OS doesn't recognize the BIOS firmware RAID as legit.

So I'm building my first hackintosh. Love the concepts and support in these forums, and the freedom of the hardware to build and play with. It's fun. I'm wanting to do a four drive RAID 0 boot disk. Is there anything different I have to do when trying to install mavericks on a raid array with a GA-Z87X-UD5H? A friend with a similar build to mine says when he uses the USB drive, it boots to it, but that the BIOS won't recognize the raid array to boot to. Is there something simple we're missing? I get my 4770k on Thursday or Friday and I can start play and testing it then.

what I thought it would be was using the USB to use disk utilities to format the drives and create the raid array. Then install OSX on the Raid array and continue as if it were one drive. Is that right or is there more involved?

So I'm building my first hackintosh. Love the concepts and support in these forums, and the freedom of the hardware to build and play with. It's fun. I'm wanting to do a four drive RAID 0 boot disk. Is there anything different I have to do when trying to install mavericks on a raid array with a GA-Z87X-UD5H? A friend with a similar build to mine says when he uses the USB drive, it boots to it, but that the BIOS won't recognize the raid array to boot to. Is there something simple we're missing? I get my 4770k on Thursday or Friday and I can start play and testing it then.

what I thought it would be was using the USB to use disk utilities to format the drives and create the raid array. Then install OSX on the Raid array and continue as if it were one drive. Is that right or is there more involved?

A RAID boot drive is asking for trouble. Get a small SSD or HDD for the boot drive and use the RAID for storage - and use RAID 10, not RAID0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back