Contribute
Register

Is it okay to install MacBook Pro Supplemental Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell G7 15 (Clover UEFI)
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
UHD 630 + GTX 1060 1920x1080
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I received an update in Software Update called "MacBook Pro Supplemental Update" (I'm using MacBookPro15,1 for config.plist). Here is its description:
The MacBook Pro Supplemental Update addresses a firmware issue affecting 15-inch MacBook Pro computers with T2 Security Chip, and is recommended for all users.
Should I install this update or skip it?

Edit: Fixed it by running this command in Terminal
Code:
softwareupdate --ignore "MacBook Pro Supplemental Update"

Last edited:
You shouldn't have a problem updating.
As always - make sure boot loader, kexts are up-to-date.
And of course, have a backup in case something goes wrong and you cannot fix it.

That said, you won't gain anything from this update (You don't have a T2 chip...). I guess it'll make the update badge gone, I assume the update is smaller than usual.

You shouldn't have a problem updating.
As always - make sure boot loader, kexts are up-to-date.
And of course, have a backup in case something goes wrong and you cannot fix it.

That said, you won't gain anything from this update (You don't have a T2 chip...). I guess it'll make the update badge gone, I assume the update is smaller than usual.
The update is about 900MB. I tried installing but it doesn't seem to work. Rebooted but the update remains in Software Update.

Should I install this update or skip it?
It is a firmware update so you cannot install it as you do not have the required hardware to update.
Instead update the firmware information in the SMBIOS section of your config.plist.

It is a firmware update so you cannot install it as you do not have the required hardware to update.
Instead update the firmware information in the SMBIOS section of your config.plist.
I changed Efi Version to 220.260.171.0.0 but the update still remains.

I changed Efi Version to 220.260.171.0.0 but the update still remains.
There is more to it than just that.

firmware.png

So I need to ask someone with a real MacBookPro15,1 for those details?
No, use Clover Configurator.
Update Clover too if you have not already done so.

No, use Clover Configurator.
I tried with a new file but beside Efi version, S/N and UDID, everything stay the same.
Efi version from Clover Configurator (220.250.320.0.0) is even older than the one on Internet.
220.260.171.0.0 is the newest bootrom version.

I tried with a new file but beside Efi version, S/N and UDID, everything stay the same.
Efi version from Clover Configurator (220.250.320.0.0) is even older than the one on Internet.
220.260.171.0.0 is the newest bootrom version.

Then you could research to find the latest details.
Or
Wait for Clover Configurator to be updated with the new firmware information.
Or
Use the softwareupdate command in Terminal to ignore the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back