Contribute
Register

Is it easy to swap motherboards from same company without starting from scratch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte B360 D3P
CPU
i5-8600
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've got a working hackintosh using MSI 370M but it doesn't have the Thunderbolt header so want to get MSI B360 Titanium.

Question is: will I need to start from scratch with Clover and EFI etc? Or could I get away with swapping the motherboard out and it works no worries. I'm guessing not.

Thanks!

I've got a working hackintosh using MSI 370M but it doesn't have the Thunderbolt header so want to get MSI B360 Titanium.

Question is: will I need to start from scratch with Clover and EFI etc? Or could I get away with swapping the motherboard out and it works no worries. I'm guessing not.

Thanks!

If the installed version of MacOS is compatible with the new motherboard, it is quite possible to replace the motherboard and have MacOS running immediately, provided of course you configure the new motherboard BIOS correctly.

I have done it several times, P67 -> Z68 -> Z77, Z68 -> X99, Z68 -> Z270, all Gigabyte motherboards, running Sierra and High Sierra (Have not and will not install Mojave until the last major update, probably 10.14.6).

Thanks very much. Will give it a try.

I have a Gigabyte Z270X motherboard with a i5-6600 and a Asrock Z390 with an i7-9700 and I can swap my Mojave HDD back and forwards between then and it works without making any changes.

I have a Gigabyte Z270X motherboard with a i5-6600 and a Asrock Z390 with an i7-9700 and I can swap my Mojave HDD back and forwards between then and it works without making any changes.
Wow. That is super encouraging because I was thinking of going to Gigabyte for the Thunderbolt header. Which is better for you, the Gigabyte or Asrock?

If I was building a Z390 system again from scratch I would not buy an Asrock motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back