Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H TH
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
GTX 560
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all
This is my first HackaMac build and will hopefully eventually be able to also run OSX. I got the parts yesterday, built it and realised how long since I've done any internal work on a PC.... it took me a full 10 minutes and lots of hair pulling to realise that now MOBO's have their own power socket. I really can't recall my old 486SX build in Uni having this kind of modern invention... but i digress.

Parts put together and Windows up and running. Updated the mobo in windows with proper usb drivers and got the graphics card working... Even THAT needs it's own power. Man they are big and brutish these days.. The case is a beauty, but the Vengeance Ram is rather high and interferes with the drive bay... I might have to do some internal modding!

Went with the Z77MX-D3H TH because the Realtek Gigabyte mobos are not availabe here in Singapore, only the Via ones, and I had plans to get a USB sound box anyhoo. The Thunderbolt technology seem very interesting and fast and the mobo was not that much more expensive, so I went for it.

Had borrowed a friends MacPro and got a Lion install UniBeasted on a 8gig USB drive. I used the correct UniBeast version for Lion. Here the trouble started.

I can boot into UniBeast. I get the nice logo with the red apple and the eyes and I get the option of USB and for some reason NTFS on the UniBeast stick. I chose USB and after a few seconds it tells me some Nvidia error and then just reboots. I've tried all the exceptions like -v, -x, -s, GraphicsEnabler=No etc, but they give me kernel panics. I did not write the exact Nvidia error down as it was late at night and I could not find a pen etc. etc., but will try and replicate later and post.

I've tried with the onboard video, same result but no Nvidia error. I'm thinking that there is something wrong with the USB, but since I borrowed a colleagues Mac to get this going, I'd like to explore all optioins before borrowing it again. I mean, at least I do get it to recognise the USB....

My specs are:

i7-3770
Z77MX-D3H TH (latest F3 bios)
2x4 Corsair Vengeance Ram (currently only 4Gig in the machine)
MST GTX560 Twin Frozr II (connected via DVI-I
OCZ Vertex3 60GB SSD
Silverstone 500 watt PSU
TP-Link WDN4800 (Mac Compatible Wireless N card)
Sony DVDRW
Dell monitor DVI-I

Any suggestions are welcome. I did extensive research ... or at least I think I did... but I'm pretty sure my parts "SHOULD" in theory work?

Cheers Molteni

The error msg reads:
Bad display config block signature (0x55555555)
ERROR: nVidia ROM Patching Failed!

Tried the on board HD 4000 graphics. same issue. Unibeast will load, but no boot flag seems to work. It just reboots. I'm stumped. Am I missing something very obvious?

Hi all
This is my first HackaMac build and will hopefully eventually be able to also run OSX. I got the parts yesterday, built it and realised how long since I've done any internal work on a PC.... it took me a full 10 minutes and lots of hair pulling to realise that now MOBO's have their own power socket. I really can't recall my old 486SX build in Uni having this kind of modern invention... but i digress.

Parts put together and Windows up and running. Updated the mobo in windows with proper usb drivers and got the graphics card working... Even THAT needs it's own power. Man they are big and brutish these days.. The case is a beauty, but the Vengeance Ram is rather high and interferes with the drive bay... I might have to do some internal modding!

Went with the Z77MX-D3H TH because the Realtek Gigabyte mobos are not availabe here in Singapore, only the Via ones, and I had plans to get a USB sound box anyhoo. The Thunderbolt technology seem very interesting and fast and the mobo was not that much more expensive, so I went for it.

Had borrowed a friends MacPro and got a Lion install UniBeasted on a 8gig USB drive. I used the correct UniBeast version for Lion. Here the trouble started.

I can boot into UniBeast. I get the nice logo with the red apple and the eyes and I get the option of USB and for some reason NTFS on the UniBeast stick. I chose USB and after a few seconds it tells me some Nvidia error and then just reboots. I've tried all the exceptions like -v, -x, -s, GraphicsEnabler=No etc, but they give me kernel panics. I did not write the exact Nvidia error down as it was late at night and I could not find a pen etc. etc., but will try and replicate later and post.

I've tried with the onboard video, same result but no Nvidia error. I'm thinking that there is something wrong with the USB, but since I borrowed a colleagues Mac to get this going, I'd like to explore all optioins before borrowing it again. I mean, at least I do get it to recognise the USB....

My specs are:

i7-3770
Z77MX-D3H TH (latest F3 bios)
2x4 Corsair Vengeance Ram (currently only 4Gig in the machine)
MST GTX560 Twin Frozr II (connected via DVI-I
OCZ Vertex3 60GB SSD
Silverstone 500 watt PSU
TP-Link WDN4800 (Mac Compatible Wireless N card)
Sony DVDRW
Dell monitor DVI-I

Any suggestions are welcome. I did extensive research ... or at least I think I did... but I'm pretty sure my parts "SHOULD" in theory work?

Cheers Molteni

Team Molteni

I suggest you use this in the startup - as a group - spaces and dashs are important
-x -v -f acpi=off PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No
Your CPU has HD4000 so I assume you have OSX10.8

You may even want to just see if you can boot up w/o that MSI card

As to the MSi card - I Suggest you look at these users who posted some problems w this card.
http://www.insanely-mac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=273420

Also your MB has the VIA sound chip - this will need to have the Voodo Kexts and only two channel at best.

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a go. No I have 10.7.something on the USB stick (Lion) not Mtn Lion.Swapped the Corsair ram for some low profile Kingston ram... now everything fits.

Tried all the bootflags and no cigar. All Kernel Panics. Now I'm not sure if I ran Bridgehelper or not on the USB.... If I didn't it would probably account for UniBeast not working? I'll go back to my work colleague and ask kindly for her MacBook Pro again. I think the problem MUST be in the USB stick.

Tried all the bootflags and no cigar. All Kernel Panics. Now I'm not sure if I ran Bridgehelper or not on the USB.... If I didn't it would probably account for UniBeast not working? I'll go back to my work colleague and ask kindly for her MacBook Pro again. I think the problem MUST be in the USB stick.

Team

I believe that the HD4000 internal grafix is going to be a problem - support is not there - googl;e hd4000 + OSX10.7 haackintosh

I suggest you get 10.8 and make a new usb stick and use that for the install to osx10.8

that way we have a new 8 gb usb w unitbeast 1.5.3 and osx10.8 install

(Solved) Is hardware OK and suggestions how to start UniBeast w/ Lion

Thanks Totenkopf4. I Unibeasted Mtn Lion and from there i got it to install with HD 4000 graphics. Will need to do some tweaking and testing of GFX560 card later, but right now it seems to be working. Thanks again for the tips and assistance. Molteni

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back