Contribute
Register

Is GTX-285 worth replacing with XFX-7850 on my Yosemite ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD3R
CPU
i7-920
Graphics
GTX 285 1024 MB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My main PC is still running Yosemite. I have GTX-285 in it. Kids want to play Fortnite (dual boot with Win10) and game is not supporting DX10 anymore.

Since this Yosemite is my main production machine - would it be smart to tinker and try to replace it with spare XFX 7850 2Gb ?

I am also working on replacing this i7-920 with something a bit newer but in the mean time I don't want to lose access to my photoshop/lr setup.

My main PC is still running Yosemite. I have GTX-285 in it. Kids want to play Fortnite (dual boot with Win10) and game is not supporting DX10 anymore.

Since this Yosemite is my main production machine - would it be smart to tinker and try to replace it with spare XFX 7850 2Gb ?

I am also working on replacing this i7-920 with something a bit newer but in the mean time I don't want to lose access to my photoshop/lr setup.

If that computer is your "main production machine", is it wise to try to install Windows 10 and allow your kids to play with or mess with it?

I think you should consider building another machine (or get another second hand machine) just for your kids to play with and not mess with your own work machine.

If that computer is your "main production machine", is it wise to try to install Windows 10 and allow your kids to play with or mess with it?

I think you should consider building another machine (or get another second hand machine) just for your kids to play with and not mess with your own work machine.
Thanks for the recommendation. I do have quite of few machines and i want to go to oone and max 2 fro current 4-5.
the windows partition does not see HFS as far as i know. Also, my files live on BSD Freenas file server.
im currently working on movine my home partition/disk from yosemite macine onto a mini atx hack-mini with 3770/gtx760. Once when thats done it would be nice to repurpose old hackintosh with refreshed graphic since this gtx285 is getting a bit long in the tooth.

out of spare cards I got 7850, 77xx and rx-260 as far as i can remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back