Contribute
Register

is GPU passthrough supported in any MacOS VMs now? (Mac VM software, running on actual MacOS)

Motherboard
Gigabyte z690 Aero D
CPU
i7-13700K
Graphics
RX 6950 XT
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I used to have a Hackintosh years ago during Mavericks days, recently have been using an M1 Mini but after watching Snazzy Labs' new video on a 13700K Hackintosh build I am strongly considering building one of these. Currently I have a Linux Ryzen PC for other things and gaming (proton) which works great, but I started thinking about how cool it would be to use a VM in MacOS and combine all my uses into one very powerful Hackintosh.

Unfortunately doing web searches for any useful information has been impossible as everything is about running MacOS in a VM on another OS. I don't care about that, I want to run Linux in a VM on MacOS with GPU passthrough (I understand I'd need dual GPUs if it is even possible). I know years ago this was impossible but from what I understand Apple has added more virtualization support to MacOS, including Ventura which is what I will be using.

Has anyone had any success with something resembling what I am describing?

This turned out to be a waste of time... I had no idea VMs were so limited, not being able to safely use real drives/filesystems on the same machine. Dual-booting is the only good way to use MacOS and Linux on one machine.

Hi,

I used to have a Hackintosh years ago during Mavericks days, recently have been using an M1 Mini but after watching Snazzy Labs' new video on a 13700K Hackintosh build I am strongly considering building one of these. Currently I have a Linux Ryzen PC for other things and gaming (proton) which works great, but I started thinking about how cool it would be to use a VM in MacOS and combine all my uses into one very powerful Hackintosh.

Unfortunately doing web searches for any useful information has been impossible as everything is about running MacOS in a VM on another OS. I don't care about that, I want to run Linux in a VM on MacOS with GPU passthrough (I understand I'd need dual GPUs if it is even possible). I know years ago this was impossible but from what I understand Apple has added more virtualization support to MacOS, including Ventura which is what I will be using.

Has anyone had any success with something resembling what I am describing?
Unless they have changed this I do not think it is possible. Long ago I wanted to use one GPU for Mac and one GPU for Windows in VM and at that time you could not do it. You could assign the GPU to be the one the VM used but it was still used via Mac OS not direct access to the hardware.

You can do it with a proper hypervisor using a baremetal installation (every OS is a VM). Then you can pass any GPU to any OS. VM discussion is not allowed per the forum rules.

You can do it with a proper hypervisor using a baremetal installation (every OS is a VM). Then you can pass any GPU to any OS. VM discussion is not allowed per the forum rules.
VM discussion is a blurry line. I see discussions about it from time to time with mods putting their 2 cents into the conversation. That said doing a bare metal install is still a VM so that is not really want this guy is asking.

He wants Mac OS to be the host and have Bare metal access to the cards from other OS's. As far as I know that is not possible.

Back