Contribute
Register

Is Firewire Working On Your Hackintosh At Full Bandwidth??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-P55A-UD4P
CPU
Graphics
GT 740
I'm putting together a Hackintosh based around the i7 875K and I'm curious
if anyone's motherboard with built in firewire is working correctly. In my previous
hackintosh build I could never get the onboard (or FW PCI card also) to function at
anything more that half the thruput that it should. You can test this by connecting
a FW HD to a legitimate mac and watching the transfer rates using Activity Monitor.
Then connect the same FW HD and connect it to your Hackintosh. Ideally the transfer
rates should be similar but in my experience I've only seen the hackintosh function at
roughly half. Which is not acceptable for my application. If someone is using a mobo with
onboard FW that does function fully, that will be the one I go with. Any input greatly
appreciated.

TIA,
jb

How fast is your Mac transferring data at? My only External FW hard drive is an IDE drive in a FW enclosure, and I get a max of 23 MB/sec (184 Megabits) transferring to it from both my Macbook and my Hackintosh. Theoretically FW400 is faster than that, I suppose.

Even when I mount the Macbook in Target Disk Mode I only get 17MB/sec between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back