Contribute
Register

Is dual 4k 60hz possible via dual HDMI 2.0 outputs (Intel UHD 620)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP 8300 CMT
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
As title, I am trying to spec a new build and the box has Intel UHD 620 graphics and dual HDMI 2.0 outputs that are advertised as having full 4k output capability on Windows.

Am I likely to be able to get dual 4k 60hz on MacOS via HDMI? I know DP used to be the preferred port of choice but I am not upto date with the latest...thanks.

Am I likely to be able to get dual 4k 60hz on MacOS via HDMI? I know DP used to be the preferred port of choice but I am not up to date with the latest...thanks.

@phrozenpenguin,

According to the official Intel specs page :-

The UHD 620 IGPU can indeed run 4K @ 60Hz.

Apple has tended to favour Display Port over HDMI in recent years but it should be still possible to make it work with HDMI if you don't have display port available on your monitors.

First you should Install Lilu + WhatEverGreen :-

The AutoDetect/AutoConfigure feature in WEG has been improved significantly in recent months so you may not have to do any initial IGPU configuration.

Make sure that the system is using the correct SMBIOS and IGPU Platform ID and manually configure it if the AutoDetect/AutoConfigure feature in WEG has failed to work.

You should also enable WEG's pixel clock patch by adding "-cdfon" as a boot argument and I recommend that you enable to 2048MB VRAM patch (see the HIDPI Section of the above guide for more info).

Next you will most likely have to patch the IGPU framebuffer so that the defined connectors match the physical connector types on your motherboard ... use the method in this guide to achieve that :-

If you find you are unable to run at 4K @ 60Hz after performing all the above steps then you may have to define some custom screen resolutions and clock rates for MacOS ... the app of choice for doing that is SwitchResX :-

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Thanks for the comprehensive reply. Will update thread if I get this machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back