Contribute
Register

Is Direct Upgrade from El Capitan to Catalina Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Thanks. Any idea why I can’t make the bootable usb with UniBeast for Catalina?

isnitnpossible that I need a usb 2 port and drive and the original copy of Catalina to make this work?

Maybe using usb 3 drives and ports and the updated Catalina is causing an error when trying to boot

i updated the post above.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the last macOS that could use nvidia? I had it working perfectly in e Capitan. I need it to use mini display port for my Mac monitor.

I don't know why you can't create the Unibeast installer. The oldest Mac I've tried is High Sierra and that worked fine. I used a SanDisk 32 GB USB 3.0 drive. There was someone here who had a similar problem, and it turned out it was the brand of flash drive, so maybe try a SanDisk? There shouldn't be an issue with using a USB 3.0 drive in a USB 2.0 port.

Just make sure you are using the correct version of Unibeast. Follow the instructions carefully. Make sure you are formatting correctly with Mac Extended and GUID.

The latest MacOS that supports the Nvidia Web Drivers is High Sierra.

You should black out your serial number from your image.

Does anyone know the last macOS that could use nvidia? I had it working perfectly in e Capitan. I need it to use mini display port for my Mac monitor.

I updated my profile and the info on top for this build. Here it is again.

it was working great. Built it about 5 years ago. Just having issues with updates.

Gigabyte - Z97MX - Gaming 5

250GB SSD

Intel Core i7 Haswell 4th Gen - 4790K @ 4Ghz

32GB Ram (originally but now only sees 16GB)

H60 Liquid Cooling

650W PSU

Intel HD Graphics 460 + Nvidia GTX 970 4GB

Currently stuck at latest version of El Capitan.

right now trying again with Sandoval brand usb, and will remove GTX card before install.

Last edited:

@Hack_The_Gibson,

The last version of MacOS that will support your Nvidia GTX 970 is High Sierra 10.13.6 with the Nvidia Web Drivers installed.

There is no support for any Maxwell based Nvidia dGPU's in MacOS Mojave or Catalina as Nvidia have not updated their web drivers to support Apples Metal 2 API.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@Hack_The_Gibson,

The last version of MacOS that will support your Nvidia GTX 970 is High Sierra 10.13.6 with the Nvidia Web Drivers installed.

There is no support for any Maxwell based Nvidia dGPU's in MacOS Mojave or Catalina as Nvidia have not updated their web drivers to support Apples Metal 2 API.

Cheers
Jay

thanks Jay! that helps a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back