Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Read it was the best bet for OOTB compatibility for FCPx on this forum but the post was a year old. It is still the case. looking to spend 2/300 quid. I also have a second 4x PCIE slot and am thinking on getting another card to run the screens (just 2d stuff, advice world be good). My PSU only has 2 power conectors for GPUs so not saure if I will need to upgrade.

In terms of AMD Radion R9 280X does it matter which manufactorer I go for. I genraly go for gigabyte as there fans arte quiet (important for me as I like quiet PCs) but they dont seem to do that model;(.

Ben

I haven't had a chance to try an R9 380 or 390 card yet, but I hear they are similar to the 2xx cards in that you will be fine on recent OS X versions if the system has a recent chipset. The 280x being preferred to the 290 or 290x is old information, as support for the latter was added in Yosemite IIRC. Manufacturer: I'm not 100% sure, but there is a certain element of you-get-what-you-pay-for as far as the quality of the video BIOS programming. Gigabyte is a good brand.

eta: oh, for 2nd card. I think you may confuse some software unless you stay within the same GPU family for all cards.

OK, they all seem to consume a lot of power (twice my 660Ti). The 290 is a but above my budget so think I will go for the 280X but the toxic edition seems to be the only one easily available in the UK for Sapphire (Sapphire cards seem to be the ones to go for). wondering if this will work. MSI and ASUS seem to also do them. One thing that is important to me is how noisy they are and I believe the Sapphire ones are quiet. MSI ones are a lot cheaper. Wondering if there are any other Radion ones i should look at for FCPx that are a simpler price to the 280x. Would ideally like 4GB.

Oh, I want to mention one other thing: try to get Baladi or Exmoor framebuffer working with these cards. Everything works better when you do, compared to the "basic" framebuffer. Anyway, that should give you more Google fodder. :)

A Sapphire R9 280x with 4GB is a very nice card!

I should hope so, they are twice the price of the 280X 3GB version. The 290 4GB is actually half the price of the 280X and seems to be a little more powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back