Contribute
Register

Is a Hackintosh Stable? Experienced User's Wanted. How long?

I have been running a Hackintosh for ___ without any major problems?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Coming to the forum after a fresh install of 10.6.5 and I have used Macs in the past and know they are very stable. I was wanting to get some story's of the guys who have been using Hackintoshes for any amount of time; so any input or discussion would be great. Let me know how long you've been running OS X, is your machine dual-boot, custom, retail (manufactured), or any other details you wanna throw in, can't wait to check in for some replies!! Thanks Everybody

What type of information are you looking for? Just curious how dependable the machine will be? I mean, technically, once it gets running, it should be good to go unless hardware fails, or an update breaks it.

Anywho, I've been running OS X for years, with many purchased retail machines from Apple, and am currently on my Hackintosh that I built about 5 months ago. It runs like a champ, and I couldn't be happier (well, I would be happier if my SSD had the Sandforce controller :cry: ).

How's your experience so far?

I've used G3's, G4's, a MacBookPro and a MacMini (Intel version) over the years. Also used many DOS/Windows machines from back in the 3.0 days. My current build has been stable for 10 months - original install was 10.6.0 - and has been updated to 10.6.5. It works quite well and I only had a problem with the 10.6.5 combo update from 10.6.4 - it didn't like something and refused to shut down or reboot after update. A complete reinstall from scratch of the OS with update to 10.6.5 and run MultiBeast to install needed files and it's been back up and running with no problems since.
Dual booting with Win7 from the beginning. Planning to remove a WinXP disk from an older machine and put it in this one when I have some time.

Been running my hackintosh since March 2010.
Started with 10.6.2 and immediately got 10.6.3...
Since then upgraded to 10.6.4 and then 10.6.5 (always using combo updates).

ZERO problems so far.

Wish I could find (where I live) a fully compatible Bluetooth dongle, as mine requires unplugging/replugging on sleep/wake.

I documented my build and some advanced topics on my blog.

Couldn't been happier.

Going Bald said:
My current build has been stable for 10 months - original install was 10.6.0 - and has been updated to 10.6.5. It works quite well
Lnx2Mac said:
[snip]
ZERO problems so far.
[snip]
Couldn't been happier.
These kinds of things are great to hear. I'm about to take the plunge into my first-ever build (following CustoMac), and sometimes my rational or cynical self says "but what if you're spending all this money to build the system and you end up having to run Windows (which I can barely stand) anyway because OS X isn't stable enough?!"

That has been my concern, but I'm glad to hear these success stories. So thank you. :)

Lnx2Mac said:
Started with 10.6.2 and immediately got 10.6.3...
Since then upgraded to 10.6.4 and then 10.6.5 (always using combo updates).

ZERO problems so far.

Wish I could find (where I live) a fully compatible Bluetooth dongle, as mine requires unplugging/replugging on sleep/wake.

I documented my build and some advanced topics on my blog.

Couldn't been happier.

I agree with Bluetooth dongle, mine is doing exactly the same but yeah everything working fine thanks to you guys !

First off, I inadvertently hit 6 months no issues, should have been 9 months no issues. Hey, it's late what more need I say.

There's a few things, but as I've been using it without detriment, I consider it minor in that case.

1- Cinebench/Geekbench show performance loss after wake from sleep. I'll have to see if a change in one of the power saving settings in the BIOS makes a difference.
2- USB ports aren't 100% on the MB. But as I use a powered hub for everything except the KB/Mouse, it's nothing I can't accept. i.e.- If I mount my Android phone into the front panel and there's a thumb drive in the other front panel port, it will usually dis-mount the thumb drive for some reason, and on some occasions, my phone will not mount at all. An increase in the ICH voltages seems to partially fix this, but I haven't nailed it down yet.

Other then those 2 things, which may relate to my overclock and/or bios settings for all I know, it's been rock solid, no system lockups, no data loss, etc. It just works.

As to the BT dongle, try the IOGear, been working for me just perfect, but I do have it plugged into a powered hub. And with the BT hack, I can use my Sony remote to wake my system via BT.

Btw, I run my system 24/7 allowing for auto sleep.

EDIT: Going back to hard coded c/p states solved problem #1.

Love to hear all the good input, my internets been out so I haven't been on for awhile. Glad to hear that I am not going to have problems with my Hackintosh, unlike my manufacturer backed Windows 7 Ultimate.....Love it :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

My one year old EX58 build has been wonderful! My two month P55 build is also terrific! Both from time to time have an issue or two, mostly dependent on Apple OS upgrades and also third-party software or even hardware additions or mods. Sooner or later a fix is discovered.

But it was also always that way with Mac hardware. And Windows hardware and software. Those looking for a 100% always perfect computer will be disappointed. There is no such beast, and never will be.

But here's the thing. A Hackintosh is a PROCESS. We learn during the process, we discover, we experiment. We become part of the advancing technology. Yes, it is nice going to a store, bringing home a new computer, plugging it in - and everything just works 100%! But, sooner or later, it will fail, and if you have not learned to keep it functioning with ever-changing advancements, back to the store it goes, or it gets trashed and one buys another box. There is no thrill there, and it costs a bunch of money I personally don't have.

I sometimes get private messages from folks who want me to help them with a perfect build or quick fix when the information is already out there for them to discover. I resist, and instead steer them to read, listen, and learn. It is similar to this idea:

"Give someone a bushel of wheat, and they will be satisfied for a season. Teach them how to plant and harvest their own, and their stomachs will be filled forever."

I've been running my machine since May 2010 and haven't had any stability issues. All the updates worked. Totally seamless. The only thing that is an issue (but it isn't about stability) is 3D graphics... very slow without using a DSDT edit, but not a problem since I run games with Win7 anyway. Another non-stability related issue was with sleep, but that has since resolved itself; I didn't do anything... it just started sleeping one day.

My machine is stable because I was able to "build from scratch" using components I knew would be compatible, thanks to Tonymacx86 resources, sometimes forgoing higher end components to save myself headaches. I even managed to snag a 'new old stock' motherboard just to get the ALC889a chip so I didn't need to worry about sound.

The downside of this is that a feel I haven't learned as much as others on the board about troubleshooting. I tend to learn by doing, and I have not been doing much troubleshooting since it just works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back