Contribute
Register

Is a Hackintosh really that much better than an 8 Core I9 2019 Imac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering if a Hackintosh is really that much better than an 8 Core I9 2019 Imac?

It seems a little less expensive yes, but not really if you add the 5K LG display for $1500
Canadian that is similar to the screen in an Imac.

Is the performance boost worth the savings, accounting for all the time you spend in this
forum trying to get it to work as good as an out of the box Imac?

Just seems once you add a high end monitor and put in tons of hours.

It seems like it may not be worth, it considering you don't really get a warranty.

Correct me if I am wrong, I am on the fence about building a Hackintosh or just
ordering the new 27 Inch 2019 5K imac with the 8 core I9 and a 500 GB SSD.

What are your thoughts?

Has anyone been able to get Mojave up and running easily?

With everything working like Thunderbolt 3, Bluetooth, Wi-fi, imessage,
Facetime, Icloud, itunes, Final Cut, Air drop, Safari etc?

Is the added performance worth it?

If you can afford it I would definitely go for the Imac as well, for many of the same reasons you list. If you care about "a nice package", it's even more of a no-brainer :)

With that said, I use my hackintosh every day for work (and leisure) and I think it's really nice - I do also have a Macbook Pro 13" (2017) and a Macbook Air (2012), but if I could afford it I would definitely get myself an Imac or a Mac mini :)

One of the advantages of building a Hackintosh is that you can customize it much more than an iMac. For example, if your graphics card dies on a Hackintosh, you can easily replace it. On an iMac, most of the time you can't replace the graphics card because it is welded to the motherboard, forcing you to either replace you motherboard or buy a new Mac.

I've seen some new fully spec'd 2019 8 Core I9 Imac's on Youtube and for the
price the performance is disappointing.

I think a dual boot system with Mac OS and Windows 10 would be a pretty flexible system.

The Radeon VII might be a good option for both.

I've noticed it looks like it will be supported in Mac OS soon.

Although, I am curious about the cost of the new Mac Pro which is rumoured to be released this year.

But if it is anything like the new iMac or iMac Pro pricing, it will be way overpriced compared to a Hackintosh.

If you can afford and it makes you feel more comfortable about everything working as it should then go for it. An iMac with the specs from your 1st post would cost somewhere around $3,000. So you take that amount and put some parts together and compare prices. I looked at a few major parts and the major parts will cost you some around $1500. This for CPU: Intel i9-9900k, MB: Gigabyte Z390 Designare, Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB, 32GB RAM, and RX 580. Now just need PSU and case and other things you would need to make a build to your liking. And like you mentioned, would be good to Dual Boot.

I have about $2800.00 in Hackintosh Pro right now, which includes Samsung 4K monitor, 64GB ram, i9-9900K and Radeon VII. Way less expensive than buying prebuilt when you consider the options. Just going with M.2 drives causes savings over the options, and it moves from there.

Just going with M.2 drives causes savings over the options, and it moves from there.
That's where the major savings occur. When upgrading the storage and ram primarily. Apple's markups for those are astronomical in nature and scope.

I think the customization and versatility make a hackintosh the better system in the end. Need more ram? Just add more. Need a bigger SSD? Just replace the old one. Need a better GPU? etc etc.

I could purchase the new iMac, but hackintosh just offers that wonderful flexibility that Apple fails to provide with their products.

I think the customization and versatility make a hackintosh the better system in the end. Need more ram? Just add more. Need a bigger SSD? Just replace the old one. Need a better GPU? etc etc
Saves you hours of time compared to opening up your iMac to upgrade anything other than the ram. Thankfully, Apple still left the "back door open" so that users can easily upgrade that on the 27" models of the iMac. I have a feeling that will be gone with the next iMac redesign coming soon. Probably by late 2020 or 21. It will be even thinner, much smaller bezels, if any and you won't have any fusion drives. Only NVME SSD options for storage. Probably nothing will be user upgradeable.
Sorry, that's just the direction Apple is going. The only people that can service them will be Apple certified techs. (T2 chips)
The first iMac saved Apple from bankruptcy in the later 1990's. The Bondi Blue iMac was designed by Jony Ive and sold like crazy. We had one in the office where I worked then. I thought it looked like some kind of a joke. Jobs liked the idea that you could see through it but not actually open the case to change anything on the interior. Dell and Microsoft had experienced huge growth during the 1990s. Windows 98 had about 95% of the desktop marketshare. Dell was worth billions of dollars. It was a time when Mike Dell infamously said, "Apple should close up and return the money to their shareholders." The iPod was launched a few years later, then the iPhone. The rest is history. Apple is now the 800 pound tech gorilla on the NASDAQ stock exchange. All because people bought this strange looking, see through plastic, fully enclosed iMac. How Jony and Steve got people to buy tens of millions of these, I'll never know. It literally brought Apple back to respectability and profitability. Apple had mostly lost both of those two things from 1990-97.

Last edited:
Saves you hours of time compared to opening up your iMac to upgrade anything other than the ram. Thankfully Apple still left the "back door open" so that users can easily upgrade that on the 27" models of the iMac. I have a feeling that will be gone with the next iMac redesign coming soon. Probably by late 2020 or 21.
Yeah. Unibody design is absolutely cancerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back