Contribute
Register

Is 120hz thru rx 6900 XT possible on Monterey and Ventura?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Extreme
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
XFX RX 6900 XT
Hello guys,
I'm new here so BIG HELLO to everyone!
Planning to get into my first Hackintosh, but is this even possible to achieve 120hz on Monterey or Ventura with 12900k and RX6900XT ?
I'm having Macbook M1 Pro so only having access to Monterey and Ventura OS but on both I can have 120hz with my 14" M1 Pro so I think it's possible?
I think I saw someone mentioning that he had very fluid experience with RX 6900XT on Ventura with 120hz refresh rate.

This is very important as I have 55" 4K HDR LG TV that feels laggy on 60hz, while it can run at 120hz.
Also I would appreciate any easy and current tutorial that would include built in Thunderbolt ports.
Planning to use Hackintosh for music production with my Thunderbolt audio interfaces.
Let me know should I go this way, or rather not due to drivers problems etc.
Thank you very much upfront!

Last edited:
Yes. should be no problem if your monitor support it.
Was running Designare Z390, i9-9900k, 64GB mem, 1TB Nvme with RX6900XT at 144 mhz - 4k in HDR mode on a Gigabyte Aorus FV43U

You might need to use the right HDMI or DP cable supporting that frequence and resolution.

regards,
Rob

Thanks! But it was Monterey or Ventura?
I have LG GX 55" TV which have 4 HDMI 2.1 ports so no DP port.
Setup you mentioned is exactly what I had just week ago, but with 4tb Sabrent NVME instead.
Now upgraded to 12900k Z690 64gb 6900XT and hoping to get it working with Thunderbolt 4 and 120hz 10bits HDR 4k if possible.
Would you be able to give me some directions regarding mapping EFI for thunderbolt and gpu?
As far I know I would need TB4, nvme and gpu fix files to include additionally but would be ideal to have just basic clean install and stable.

will work on both versions

On the designare z390, the thunderbolt cannot be used as it is from factory so I assume the same for TB4 but not sure.
I needed to flash the firmware of the TB3 with the USB CH341A MinProgrammer and after that was instantly recognised and working actually very good. (take the motherboard put it on the powersupply, switch it on and then off, connect the USB Min programmer to the TB3 chip and use the cmd line software installed on my Macbook Pro to flash it, I know, short explain but xtensive explained on other topics by other members)

IMG_3462.jpeg

I have no idea how to do that on the Z690 with TB4 nor how to setup BIOS, EFI., never worked with that MB

only make sure the 6900 is an XT and not an XTX as the XTX is not recognised by Mac OS.
I had an XTX version but was able to flash it to an XT version and directly working under Mac OS

HDMI will work just fine at that as long the HDMI cable supports 2.1, 2.1a

regards,
rob

Thanks rob. For sure I won’t upgrade firmware, but willing to install Maple Ridge TB4 pcie card if chip from motherboard won’t run.

Do you know anyone who could help/check my efi for usb ports assignment? Trying to get fairly clean install for first run as never did it before

Thanks rob. For sure I won’t upgrade firmware, but willing to install Maple Ridge TB4 pcie card if chip from motherboard won’t run.

Do you know anyone who could help/check my efi for usb ports assignment? Trying to get fairly clean install for first run as never did it before
sorry, don't know. maybe there are other "machackers" able to help you on this forum.... good luck :)

Back