Contribute
Register

iPhone 5 expected to launch on the 12th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't get it that they are really, in earnest, calling it the "iPhone 5". For the last couple of months I've been cringing when anyone was talking about an "iPhone 5", a name which (until now) seemed to be just plain stupid. I never thought in a million years they'd call it that.

First, it's not the fifth iPhone, so why on earth would you slap a "5" on it? The iPhone 4 was aptly named, because it was the fourth generation. Then came the iPhone 4S, the fifth generation. If anything, this next model should be the "iPhone 6".

And don't give me that crap that the iPhone 4S didn't count as a "full" new generation. It was more of an upgrade to the previous model than the 3GS was (in comparison to the iPhone 3G), and the 3GS obviously counted as a "full" version, otherwise the iPhone 4 would have been the iPhone 3.

Plus, I was convinced that Apple would drop the numbering altogether, like they did with the iPad. It's not the "iPad 3" (at least to Apple), it's the "new iPad". I would have bet the farm on it that the thing we'll see next week would be "the new iPhone". No number, period.

I don't know why this annoys me at all. I guess it tells me that Apple makes a whole lot less sense than they used to.

It may be that the "5" in the shadow is there to imply the type of upgrade that people expect in a next generation, but that it will have nothing to do with the name. I've got to admit to being a bit amused by how much this issue seems to rile some people up - it is just a name :)

Article: iPhone 5 expected to launch on the 12th

It may be that the "5" in the shadow is there to imply the type of upgrade that people expect in a next generation, but that it will have nothing to do with the name. I've got to admit to being a bit amused by how much this issue seems to rile some people up - it is just a name :)

I have to agree, I don't care what they call it, that seems to be the least important part of the phones release. I'm sure it will be an outstanding product as usual. It might be time to get rid of my android phone.

Article: iPhone 5 expected to launch on the 12th

Is this the first iphone release without hysteric hype? Smartphones meet reality...

What on earth leads you to believe that they're not hyping the phone hysterically still? Look at the previous comments. People still want one, even though we don't really know what "one" is.

I'm no apple hater, but I'm skeptical about this new phone. Leaked images show stretched but visually similar form-factor. Apparently this is to reconcile aspect ratio for watching movies? The new connector is smaller but still a proprietary form factor, so I will have to keep track of more cables as I still need my old ones for my iPad, iPod etc. a little annoying since I already have cables I need in places I need them (bedroom, car, home office, office). I am guessing we will see spec update, kindof a given really, but feature update? No rumors about this as I have seen. faster chip; more Ram; extra row of icons; not really gunna augment my experience versus a cheaper and more compatible 4s.

in short, and maybe its just due to the late Jobs absence, I am worried. The new commercials didn't help my confidence (to me, they reaked of board-member budget agenda.) I hope I am wrong, and again, Im no hater, I was raised on a IIfx and System7. Been a fan of Mac my whole life, but I'm not a blind follower. I dont watch movies on my phone, its a tool that ideally makes life more efficient. Either way, I will be getting a new phone ca. Sept 12th, but it may be a less expensive 4s instead of a "new" or "5".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back