Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K
Graphics
NVidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti (EVGA)
Mac
  1. iMac
Ok, something weird happened. I turned on my computer (everything normal), added a new iPad (plugged in, restored from backup of old iPad, synced), and shut down. When I turned on again, I got the Boot0 error. Fixed that, and then got the Boot1 error.

After quite a bit of troubleshooting, I realized that in my BIOS settings, the very first option had changed to "Mac OS X" (instead of UEFI and the name of the boot drive). I removed this and several other options from my boot sequence, and it started booting again as expected.

My question is, how/why did this happen? Can an iPad change my boot settings? Could a change to my Windows side have changed the BIOS boot settings? (I may have done some minor stuff in Windows, like installing a game.) All of these scenarios seem unlikely, but I'm pretty sure I did nothing other than plug in and sync a new iPad, and tweak some related iCloud settings on my computer.

Anyone had a similar experience? Thoughts? Links? Suggestions on what I might have done to cause this problem?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

(thanks in advance)

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 (Bios flashed to 64)
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've never heard of BIOS changes being done from macOS. I know that it's possible in Windows. I've never heard of an iPad causing this kind of trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.