HD4600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello all,

A recent build with a Z97N-WIFI if working entirely fine now I replaced the bluetooth/wifi card with an AzureWave one...

Except the kernel panic I get when I stick in a USB pen. Any ideas on how/where to go about fixing this?

IMG_20140606_205635.jpg

Thanks!

Can anyone suggest what kexts from MultiBeast have an effect on USB Mass Storage? From there I can do some trial and error to attempt to figure this out.

I was having this problem, pretty much any time i plugged i iphone or flash drive. It was actually an issue with memory stability, and it wasn't memory at fault it was bios. In fact it was a bug in my OC force bios F5-9 that was FINALLY fixed in F10a only this month in fact. To work around the bug previously, i had to set memory to 1600mhz AUTO (not use the XMP profile, the issue was caused by board not agreeing with the memories timings in XMP) In addition, the memory also has to be set to "greater stability' instead of balanced or performance.

This is where I'd start. If you have a gigabyte board, in stall the latest beta firmware updates if you are bold enough to use beta BIOS as they do fix the problem for me. The release notes saying "improved system compatability" was dead on. FINALLY my memory problems went away. Not only did i get ability to stop running memory at crap AUTO timings with cas latency of 11 instead of 7-8 like i should have been. I even got memory stable at 2133mhz so it was a HUGE improvement in bios/board stability.

It was weird that USB was so unstable do to memory stability, but everything is interconnected. I even proved that in rare cases the same memory instability could cause GPU to hang or have channel timeouts. It's all connected. :)

Hey mystical, thanks for the reply. Very interesting!

When I set up the hackintosh a couple weeks ago, I noted I was on an older BIOS - maybe F4 or something. I'll update to the latest stable, and then try tinkering with memory options. If/when that doesn't work, I can try a beta firmware.

Thanks dude! :D

If you are on an old bios you should definitely update. those updates don't just affect windows. Mac stability very much is improved by latest bios updates. Especially with newer boards like the z97. They are getting stability updates almost weekly some of them.

Just remember that after any bios update, you need to load optimized defaults, then redo your relevant settings for your hackintosh such as setting boot from smart auto to auto, enabling appropriate hand offs, redoing OC settings from memory if relevant (so if you are using custom settings remember what they are. Custom overclock, don't forget what your stable vcore voltage is)

f4a would be older than F4

You don't even know if it is memory in your case yet, you need to experiment with it first. changing settings like i said. set to stability setting, put on auto instead of XMP in case the XMP profile timings are too tight for current board/bios. Set freq to 1600 even if it's 1866 or 2133 or whatever memory.

Quick followup for anyone coming to this later..

I updated to the F4 BIOS, as I was actually on F2. No dice. USB drives still kernel panic on mount.

I tried disabling the XMP profile1 in the BIOS, but then the machine wouldn't boot at all.

The default AUTO option sets my RAM multiplier at x13 > 1333MHz. Setting XMP to profile1 sets the multiplier to x16 > 1600 MHz. When it's on auto it won't finish booting.

I didn't set anything "manually" - just switched auto to profile1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back