Motherboard
Gibabyte Z77X-UD5H
CPU
I7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey everyone - I was just running a routine verify disk in Disk Utility, and I got this error: "Invalid extent entry."

It's telling me that "The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired."

"Error: This disk needs to be repaired using the Recovery HD. Restart your computer, holding down the Command key and the R key until you see the Apple logo. When the OS X Utilities window appears, choose Disk Utility."

Looking up errors with this on Google tells me that things are not good. Any suggestions as to what my next move should be to repair this problem?

Hey everyone - I was just running a routine verify disk in Disk Utility, and I got this error: "Invalid extent entry."

It's telling me that "The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired."

"Error: This disk needs to be repaired using the Recovery HD. Restart your computer, holding down the Command key and the R key until you see the Apple logo. When the OS X Utilities window appears, choose Disk Utility."

Looking up errors with this on Google tells me that things are not good. Any suggestions as to what my next move should be to repair this problem?

Definitely not good. It means you disk is corrupt and needs repair outside of the normal running environment. Hopefully you have a backup since you may be losing files.

You need to boot into the OS X installer using your Unibeast USB and attempt a repair in Disk Utility.

Since my system is currently working, could I possibly make a backup now using carbon copy cloner?

I don't know... I've never used CCC...

It might be wise to make a backup copy of your important files (on external media) if you don't have a backup already.

It's called Carbon Copy Cloner - it makes a fully cloneable backup of every file on my HD.

Everything seems to be working fine on my hackintosh (I have not tried restarting or turning it off though), aside from an inability to connect to the hackintosh via apple screen sharing or AFP.

It's called Carbon Copy Cloner - it makes a fully cloneable backup of every file on my HD.

Everything seems to be working fine on my hackintosh (I have not tried restarting or turning it off though), aside from an inability to connect to the hackintosh via apple screen sharing or AFP.

I can confirm that CCC is fine for making a clone boot drive or for backing up data. If using for a clone of your boot drive - remember to use MultiBeast and run the Chimera bootloader option for your drive to boot on its own without using your UniBeast Flash Drive.

Adrian B

I can confirm that CCC is fine for making a clone boot drive or for backing up data. If using for a clone of your boot drive - remember to use MultiBeast and run the Chimera bootloader option for your drive to boot on its own without using your UniBeast Flash Drive.

Adrian B

Okay, thanks! Does anyone know if I will run into issues if I make a backup of my drive right now? It seems like this "Invalid Extent Entry" error would just carry into the backup and restoring from the backup would bring back the problem, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back