N/A
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi folks,

I'm wondering if anyone knows (or if can measure for me) if the Sans Digital HDDRACK5 fits in the Mac Pro with or without the hard drive bays?

HDDRACK5 (height is 7.6 inches)
http://www.sansdigital.com/storage-gadgets/hddrack5.html

Could anyone provide me the length of the 2 lines (red and blue) in the attached image?

I'm debating between a Mac Pro vs a G5 build. I prefer the Mac Pro build to keep my PSU intact, so I don't have my case yet. I'm moving my build that includes a 8 drive RAID + a separate SDD for the OS.

Thanks!
-Roy

Attachments

• macpro_dimension_help.png
    macpro_dimension_help.png
    137.1 KB · Views: 781
It should fit either way. On my 2006 case there's at least 11" usable space top to bottom for the blue line. As for the depth, you'll want to take the front circuit board into consideration if you plan on being able to remove it down the road. I did a quick check just to see if the corsiar H100 radiator would fit up front and it does. I went with an Antec Kuhler 620 for the rear 120mm exhaust. I was looking at that same sans digital rack on amazon for $30. I'm thinking 2x 120mm PWM in the front, Blu-ray drive up top along with 2x 2.5" SSDs using a 2.5" to 5.25" adapter and then 4x 3.5" drives down below in either the sans digital or something similar.

thanks for the assist!

I was looking at the Antec Kuhler 620 as well, so I think our setups would be similar.

Did you end up just JB-ing the standoffs (seems pretty standard) or going some other route? How did you work the IO plate?

THanks,.
-Roy

My case is a work in progress.. nothing transferred to it yet. So far I've stripped and gutted the entire thing using vice grips and a dremel. I'm using an old ATX board and PSU for reference. I scrapped an old CM Cosmos case for the mobo tray and back plate (crazy, yes but it was beat up). I had to cut the mobo tray to size and cut out the a middle square for the CPU. Next I'm going to JB weld it in using some 1/2" hollow square metal bar that I picked up at Home Depot for $6. The clearance is really tight but it'll let me keep the 120mm rear fan rather then replace it with dual 80mm like some were doing with the Mountain Mods plate. Perfect for the Kuhler 620 in a rear push/pull exhaust config. Ideally I'd like cold air coming in from the front but since the 3770K is already that much faster then my previous 2011 17" MBP I'm not too worried about a crazy OC. I really don't want to sacrifice the space in the front since I'm going to be adding more 3.5" drives and maybe even consolidate and get rid of my hackintosh server.

Thanks for the details!

Funny, I'm also working on putting the Kuhler 620 as well, and want to keep the 120mm fan but have some IO plate - but I don't have a CM Cosmos laying around, so I'm still trying to figure out what to do. I know Laserhive has an mATX solution in the works, but not sure how long that'll take. I've gone to the point of looking around the egg and looking at pix of the back of numerous cases to see what I could butcher, heehee.

Do you have a build post - I'd love to follow your work.

thanks.
-Roy

I was lucky with the cosmos... the I/O back plate is a separate piece that was riveted to the back of the chassis. I'm going to reuse the rivet holes on the back plate to connect it to the Mac Pro chassis. The Laserhive is nice looking. I would have consider it if I wasn't being cheap. This mod was a last minute spur of the moment thing. Bought the Dremel and the case and went from there. I was taking pics but we just had a baby so I haven't worked on it at all. My hack is getting fulled used though... plenty of RAW editing in Aperture with all the baby pics. Once I get at it again I'll post some pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back