HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
If this is old news, just ignore me... So I discovered these little guys while I was building an unRAID box. They allow you to turn your internal USB 2.0 headers into external ports without occupying a slot on the back.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200294

It's not always easy to find a mini PCIe bluetooth or wifi card and most boards don't even have the appropriate ports. However, it's easy to find compatible USB dongles. These little guys allow you to store your USB-powered devices inside your computer.

Heck, you can even use these things for a Logitech Unifying receiver or really anything that you could add via a dongle. They free up USB ports on the back and give the machine a cleaner, more built-in feel. Plus they're cheap! You can squeeze two into a standard USB 2.0 internal header.

If I had my vote, these would be in the parts list for all customacs that promote bluetooth dongles. :)

FWIW, you'll have to see if it's appropriate for wifi since the signal may be degraded inside the case. However, it's fantastic for bluetooth (which is used at much closer distances). And for people like me with tons of USB devices (monitor, usb speakers, Logitech Unifying receiver, Wacom tablet, mouse, etc.), it helps to clear up external port space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back