Contribute
Register

Internal Blu-Ray drive; F12 to eject (mostly) doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting as I have never delved into the iterworkings of the keyboard service. I use MAC keyboards so they work well. My programming skills are rusty at best, but there are others better than me.

Thanks just the same for the suggestions :) I should track down a secondhand genuine Apple keyboard that still has an eject key on it and see if that works -- at least then I'd know for sure if it's a keyboard issue or something with how my drive is seen by the OS. I'm reasonably certain everything is right on the drive side since the eject icon shows it properly and programs that use the drive can do their thing without issue...but it would be good to know for sure.

Thanks just the same for the suggestions :) I should track down a secondhand genuine Apple keyboard that still has an eject key on it and see if that works -- at least then I'd know for sure if it's a keyboard issue or something with how my drive is seen by the OS. I'm reasonably certain everything is right on the drive side since the eject icon shows it properly and programs that use the drive can do their thing without issue...but it would be good to know for sure.

The eject key on my Magic 2 Keyboard works great, if you can get one. Cheers.

on my laptop, i hold down FN and Delete and the tray opens. have you tried other keys?

probably won't help you in anyway but i saw this thread and had to experiment for myself

on my laptop, i hold down FN and Delete and the tray opens. have you tried other keys?

probably won't help you in anyway but i saw this thread and had to experiment for myself

I've tried a few other things, although not that -- the Ducky has a Fn key but it's for controlling the lighting and whatnot, it doesn't affect anything passed to the computer it's connected to. Here's a question: if you make the Eject menubar item visible, what hotkey does it show for you when you click on it? I'm curious if it shows something besides F12 in your case.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 9.59.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 9.59.29 AM.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 25
I've tried a few other things, although not that -- the Ducky has a Fn key but it's for controlling the lighting and whatnot, it doesn't affect anything passed to the computer it's connected to. Here's a question: if you make the Eject menubar item visible, what hotkey does it show for you when you click on it? I'm curious if it shows something besides F12 in your case.
lols, F12 :)

as laptops use VoodooPS2Controller, probably a patch is required or config.plist rename

lols, F12 :)

as laptops use VoodooPS2Controller, probably a patch is required or config.plist rename

Hah, thanks anyway :) I think I actually have access to a real 2009 iMac with a SuperDrive, I'm going to see if I can track that down and test with that...at this point I'm thinking it's something minor in the keyboard being detected or in the drive presentation in ioreg, we shall see!

Hah, thanks anyway :) I think I actually have access to a real 2009 iMac with a SuperDrive, I'm going to see if I can track that down and test with that...at this point I'm thinking it's something minor in the keyboard being detected or in the drive presentation in ioreg, we shall see!
you may find Karabiner Elements may help?

you may find Karabiner Elements may help?

Yeah, that was my plan B ... since the Pause, Scroll Lock, etc. keys aren't used on macOS there are definitely keys I can remap without issue. I think what mostly bugged me is the possibility that the behavior was because something is misconfigured, not named correctly in a DSDT or something :)

I have the *exact same issue* as you @Khaibit - and it has been driving me nuts trying to fix. It is occurring with several keyboards, my primary one which is a Logitech UltraX as well as a Logitech K800 wireless/RF so I don't think your Ducky is to blame. OSX immediately switches to dashboard (which I manually added as the support was removed) when using the key. The behaviour is the same with or without the dashboard action though.

Note that this worked _properly in Lion, Mountain Lion & Mavericks. The issue occurred after upgrading to Mojave._
It is also occurring with three different keyboard layouts.

I did also use Karabiner Elements for a while (due to | & < being swapped around as OSX misidentified an ISO-layout keyboard as ANSI), but could not figure out how to 'remap' (if that is even the issue) the F12 key to bring back the long-press functionality. Also, the optical unit (an Asus BW-14D1XT Blu-Ray drive) is seen as internal to OSX and the eject menu item is present (and working)

There's gotta be a simple fix for this. I still have the Mavericks install (where this works) which I can compare with if I know what to look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back