HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is less than of a "buying advice" thread than a "procurement advice" thread. I say this because the piece I'm looking at using for my desktop build is actually an internal DVD drive that I pulled from an Apple MacBook Pro.

I haven't tested it yet because I need a cable, but "dry fitting" looks good. There's a strip of metal tape along one side of the drive, but when you peel that off, it exposes some screw holes that (at least preliminarily) line up well with the holes on my case's mounts. My case has a slim slot with no eject button so I wouldn't be missing the fact the Superdrive doesn't contain a face plate or an eject button of its own (which wouldn't do much good in OS X, anyway).

So the bottom line is that this may be an option for people looking for a compatible slim option. I'll respond back with more updates as I progress.

Pros:
theoretically 100% compatible
affordable

Cons:
no faceplate (limited practical use situations)

UPDATE: Yup! Worked just fine (as expected).

Hello, what cable did you use to connect the drive? I am in a similar situation: I replaced a SuperDrive in my MacBook with an SSD so I already have it for my hackintosh. Any advice?

Actually, I answered it myself by looking at the SuperDrive - it's SATA. Doh! :rolleyes:

Glad to hear this worked! I'm in a similar boat, and wondering whether it's worth the trouble.

What adapters/mounts did you need to use?

Also, do you by any chance have a photo of the finished install as I'm wondering how much of an issue it will be not having a faceplate. I'm planning on using the Fractal Design Node 605 case so the ODD will be hidden most of the time anyway.

Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back