Contribute
Register

Intel's 4th Generation "Haswell" Core i5/i7 CPUs Previewed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also can anyone provide any thoughts on whether or not the current crop of MBs and CPUs will see a price drop?

Not sure about the rest of the world, but at least in Finland, most shops are running out of the old Ivy Bridge CPUs, not ordering more and the prices haven't moved.
Motherboards might be a different story...

Well after a ton of research, compatibility probability, Apples updates and Intels methodology going into introducing a Tick/Tock cycle, where Tick is the major improvement and fabrication changes and die-shrink, and Tock being a minor update with focus on integration and other elements being added to the mix. I've decided to go to a 3770K and a Z77 series motherboard.

I wish I had the time and energy to test new builds and architectures, but I'll pass it this time around. Thanks again all!

Hello, I bought the GA-Z77X-UD5H and the i7-3770K last weekend for $400 at Microcenter.
I did not open them and I won't be building them until August since I'm going to move to a different state.
I read the review that the benchmark of the i7-4770K was roughly 10% better performance than the i7-3770K.
If I buy the GA-Z87X-UD5H and i7-4770K, I just need to pay an extra $100.
Is the extra $100 worth of getting 10% better performance?
I was thinking about this the whole day yesterday and couldn't reach to a conclusion...
Thanx!

Good decision...

The final market cpu's will show the final overclockability and so on, but the benchmarks and reviews that already exists let expect not big things...

So i would recommend you an UP5 TH or a UD5 H, the 3770K and an Noctua-NH d14 and you have a solid, silent system for good money...Take the Samsung 256 GB Pro SSD and the speed is yours...with this set up and a good case with good airflow you can easy run the i3770k at
4.4 to 4.5 GHZ, which gives you a Geekbench of around 16500 - 17000 which is bare enough...So have fun with your build...

Thanks! Appreciate the suggestions, I was deciding between those two boards, I would've loved to have a board with thunderbolt, but based on Intelsat latest announcements about TB getting double the bandwidth kept me away from that board, plus I don't have a need for TB yet and would rather have 2x Ethernet ports. I've been thinking about getting the Noctua-NH D14, but micro center didn't have it so I went with a closed loop liquid cooler by Corsair H60 which got pretty good review on Guru3D and over clock the CPU to 4.6GHz at 1.2Volts so once it's all setup ill post the scores.

I would've gone with the Samsung 256GB Pro drive but ended up with the 250GB cousin for $160

Thanks again! This is an awesome community :)

Here's the Tick/Tock model that Intel follows for their chipset/CPU generations

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 497
Hello, I bought the GA-Z77X-UD5H and the i7-3770K last weekend for $400 at Microcenter.
I did not open them and I won't be building them until August since I'm going to move to a different state.
I read the review that the benchmark of the i7-4770K was roughly 10% better performance than the i7-3770K.
If I buy the GA-Z87X-UD5H and i7-4770K, I just need to pay an extra $100.
Is the extra $100 worth of getting 10% better performance?
I was thinking about this the whole day yesterday and couldn't reach to a conclusion...
Thanx!

It all depends on if you plan to do a CustomMac. Although the price difference is $100 dollars now and that's basically because they have a deal going.. It might go up, but we don't know this.

I had bought the 4770K and Z87-UD5H as well from micro center but ended up stepping back to 3770k/z77 the toms hardware review gave me a lot of insight and direction Intel is heading for with this new chipset.

So it all comes down to what your needs are :)

Thank you for your input!
I'll definitely read the toms hardware review!

It all depends on if you plan to do a CustomMac. Although the price difference is $100 dollars now and that's basically because they have a deal going.. It might go up, but we don't know this.

I had bought the 4770K and Z87-UD5H as well from micro center but ended up stepping back to 3770k/z77 the toms hardware review gave me a lot of insight and direction Intel is heading for with this new chipset.

So it all comes down to what your needs are :)

Good decision...

The final market cpu's will show the final overclockability and so on, but the benchmarks and reviews that already exists let expect not big things...

So i would recommend you an UP5 TH or a UD5 H, the 3770K and an Noctua-NH d14 and you have a solid, silent system for good money...Take the Samsung 256 GB Pro SSD and the speed is yours...with this set up and a good case with good airflow you can easy run the i3770k at
4.4 to 4.5 GHZ, which gives you a Geekbench of around 16500 - 17000 which is bare enough...So have fun with your build...

You were right after all is set and done, I got a 16998 score running at 4.5GHz, didn't mess with the voltage at all. Going to try 4.6GHz and geekbench again

I just bought one yesterday, a Gigabyte Z87-D3HP with Haswell I-7 Intel CPU processor and I am trying to do an install using unibeast USB with an official mountain lion OS 10.8.4 I downloaded from Apple App store.

When I boot up from USB, it stays stuck on the grey apple logo page and sits there for a long time.

The salesmen at pc store said this would work great for a Hackintosh and so far, I gotten no where with it.

I have an MSI GTX 560 Nvidia 2GB PCIe video card and 16GB of Corsair ram installed.

Would it be easier to install snow leopard on this PC and wait or return it?

I never would have bought the board if I knew it would present obstacles, because of how new it is.

The only reason I did not purchase the current gigabyte working motherboards is because the PC store did not have in stock, and I always worry about returning through the mail and turn around time, if anything goes wrong.

When I made the boot-able mountain lion usb disk, should I have checked the legacy box in unibeast prior to building it?

I only had a couple of hours to work on it and there's not much topics on the net with these new Haswell processors.

Would appreciate any tips.

Thanks,

d-1

Also wondering if I should wait for Haswell support to be launched.. Hmm :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back