Contribute
Register

Intel's 4th Generation "Haswell" Core i5/i7 CPUs Previewed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am itching for the new MacBook Pro models. If the new Intel GPU is what they say then it will perform very well in apps like Motion and FCPX. :)

Yeah I'm itching for a new MacBook Pro models too! I've got a 2010 model with maxed out memory at 8GB, It runs pretty fast as I replaced the HDD & DVD with 2 SSDs not using as RAID-0 as I need a better backup solution! And since its a 17" I didn't want to step down to a 15" MBPr.

One more week before we see some updates from Apple!

I guess Haswell support will only come with the new Macs and OS X 10.9 So end of July...

Well, we'll see what WWDC brings us. It could be 10.8.4 or 10.8.5 or 10.9 (if they release it this Summer). Who knows?! We're in a "hurry-up-and-wait" state. :D

I don't think any drastic performance upgrades in desktops have been seen since sandy bridge. I have a 3770k and I do tl know If I'd recommend it over a 2600k if you could get the sandy at a better price.

Stork I am curious to see how much change happens in 10.9

Well, we'll see what WWDC brings us. It could be 10.8.4 or 10.8.5 or 10.9 (if they release it this Summer). Who knows?! We're in a "hurry-up-and-wait" state. :D

Yeah I'm hoping 10.8.4 will have support for the Intel's 87 series chipset (Haswell) But we can just hope :)

I'll have access to 10.9 when it's available for the developers so that would be a great start.. hopefully Unibeast with 10.9 should be able to run a boot-able install disk.

Any news as to whether the new BIOS with these GB motherboards have the power management locked as was rumoured ?

I'm building my first Hackintosh and got all the boring parts ready, except a motherboard, processor and graphics card.
For the CPU, I'm getting a 4770.
Are there any relatively safe options for a motherboard that would likely work in the future?
I noticed that MacMan posted a test build with GA-Z87X-UD3H, how likely is it that it would get support for the future.
Or should I just wait and not risk having to buy a new mobo?

I'd like to build the machine in the next two weeks and run Ubuntu until OS X works with Haswell.

I'm building my first Hackintosh and got all the boring parts ready, except a motherboard, processor and graphics card.
Are there any relatively safe options for a motherboard that would likely work in the future?
I noticed that MacMan posted a test build with GA-Z87X-UD3H, how likely is it that it would get support for the future.

I'd like to build the machine in the next two weeks and run Ubuntu until OS X works with Haswell.

In the past few years we've had a good idea what will work with the latest OS X release by the end of July.
Once Apple releases the new crop of MacBooks, iMacs etc. MacMan will do the testing and Tony will list
in the buyer's guide all the Motherboards and CPUs that work fully with OS X 10.9. I'd estimate that if
you wait a few more weeks to buy (end of June) you can always RMA the board if all the features that
you'd like aren't functioning. Since all the new Z87 and H87 boards have compatible audio and LAN there
will be many choices that will work. Also, follow the WWDC news next Monday for some clues about what
will happen with next gen Macs.

I'm in this same boat, my Macbook isn't cutting it and I don't have the funds right now to buy a decent new one, so I figured it would be best for me to build a machine from scratch to the spec I need; even though I despise working with cables.

I will be installing Windows 7 first and later on setting up the hackintosh, so all I need to begin with is make sure that I have compatible components.
I'll need to have the machine running by the end of this month; and judging by these previews I have no qualms with using Ivy Bridge (3570K w/ Asus P8Z77-M Pro were my plans), though the change in chipsets bugs me a little. Man I hate having to wait for WWDC ;).

Also can anyone provide any thoughts on whether or not the current crop of MBs and CPUs will see a price drop?

Many thanks!

In the past few years we've had a good idea what will work with the latest OS X release by the end of July.
Once Apple releases the new crop of MacBooks, iMacs etc. MacMan will do the testing and Tony will list
in the buyer's guide all the Motherboards and CPUs that work fully with OS X 10.9. I'd estimate that if
you wait a few more weeks to buy (end of June) you can always RMA the board if all the features that
you'd like aren't functioning. Since all the new Z87 and H87 boards have compatible audio and LAN there
will be many choices that will work. Also, follow the WWDC news next Monday for some clues about what
will happen with next gen Macs.

Thanks!

Maybe I'll just try to live on a MacBook until monday to decide what to do. But buying a board, like the Gigabyte one with a Z87 chip now would probably be a good option if Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.de allows returning international orders without me having to pay for shipping...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back