Graphics
Intel HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
For those that might be interested, I have some interesting results with the USB 3.0 ports from the Intel Z77 chipset on my Asus Sabertooth Z77 board. This particular board supports a total of six USB 3.0 ports, two using an ASMedia USB 3.0 controller and two using the Intel Z77 chipset along with an additional USB 3.0 header on the board driven by the Intel Z77 chipset.

With PXHCD.kext loaded, both sets of ports work with USB 2.0 devices. In addition, two separate USB Super-Speed Bus sections appears in System Information under USB. Interestingly, if I plug a USB 2.0 flash drive into the ASMedia ports, it mounts and appears under USB Super-Speed Bus.

If I do the same with the Intel Z77 USB 3.0 ports, the USB 2.0 flash drive shows up under USB High-Speed Bus. If I disable PXHCD.kext, the Z77 ports still work just fine as USB 2.0 ports while the ASMedia ports do not function at all in any form.

I was also able to easily boot from UniBeast on the Intel Z77 USB 3.0 ports just like I would be able to from USB 2.0 ports. So, for those of you who are intent on upgrading to a Z77 board, those USB 3.0 ports driven by the Intel Z77 chipset will work just fine as USB 2.0 ports.

The next step is to test USB 3.0 functionality. I don't currently have any USB 3.0 devices but will be ordering an enclosure promptly.

Update on 04/24/2011

My Icy Dock USB 3.0 enclosure arrived today. I stuck a Hitachi 100GB 7200RPM 2.5-inch drive in the enclosure and proceeded to test using all three sets of USB ports with PXHCD.kext loaded. This is all being tested on my Asus Sabertooth Z77 system.

Results for Z77 USB 2.0 ports:
As expected, the enclosure shows up under the USB High-Speed Bus in System Information and I got an average of 28.3 MB/s write speed and 32.3 MB/s read speed. This result is pretty much inline with typical USB 2.0 speeds although I've gotten a little faster on some other enclosures.

Results for ASMedia USB 3.0 ports:
Connecting the enclosure to one of the ASMedia USB 3.0 ports caused the enclosure to show up under the USB Super-Speed Bus under the ASMedia controller in System Information. I got an average of 45.8 MB/s write speed and 47.9 MB/s read speed. Although USB 3.0 is capable of much faster speeds, this drive is probably fairly slowly, especially since it is a 2.5-inch drive and a slightly older drive at that. The bridge chip in the enclosure may also be somewhat inefficient. In any case, the USB 3.0 speed is definitely faster than USB 2.0 would be. I'll be getting an SSD to stick in the enclosure at some point to get a better benchmark as to how fast it can actually be.

Results for Intel Z77 USB 3.0 ports:
The final test was connecting the enclosure to one of the Intel Z77 USB 3.0 ports. Unfortunately, the enclosure shows up under USB High-Speed Bus and not under USB Super-Speed Bus. That was not a good sign but I went ahead and ran the tests. I got an average of 26.8 MB/s write speed and 32.9 MB/s read speed. This result is similar to the Z77 USB 2.0 port result so we can conclude that the System Information output is correct and the drive is not being seen as a USB 3.0 device meaning PXHCD.kext does not correctly work with Intel Z77 USB 3.0 ports.

Bottom Line
It looks like we will most likely have to wait for an Ivy Bridge Mac so we can have native Intel USB 3.0 support. In the mean time, USB 3.0 ports seem to work fine when driven by the ASMedia ASM1042 USB 3.0 controller. Obviously this test could not possibly indicate the overall throughput that the ASMedia ports are capable of but that will have to wait for another day. The other conclusion from previous testing is that Intel USB 3.0 ports work just fine as USB 2.0 ports in every way.

Testing methodology:
For those that might be interested I simply ran diglloyd's DeskTester with the Sequential Test command. The Sequential Suite would likely have given more complete testing but wouldn't have changed the result substantially. I do suspect that USB 3.0 speeds would be better given a full Sequential Suite since block size is varied and best speeds on my SSD tests seem to be with 16MB block sizes or larger.

Re: Intel Z77 USB 3.0 Ports Behave as USB 2.0 [TESTING]

I haven't tested booting from the USB 3.0 ports but everything else works just like you described on my MSI B75MA-P45 with B75 chipset. Unfortunately I don't have any USB 3.0 devices to test Superspeed.

Mieze

Mieze said:
I haven't tested booting from the USB 3.0 ports but everything else works just like you described on my MSI B75MA-P45 with B75 chipset. Unfortunately I don't have any USB 3.0 devices to test Superspeed.
Great! I would expect based on your result that Z77, B75, and H77 USB 3.0 ports should all work perfectly for USB 2.0 devices at least.

I just purchased an Icy Dock 2.5-inch SATA to USB 3.0 enclosure that I should have sometime next week to actually test USB 3.0 speeds. It's promising that with PXHCD.kext loaded it shows up as a USB Super-Speed Bus but we'll see what happens.

Icy Dock 2.5-inch SATA to USB 3.0 Enclosure
http://www.amazon.com/2-5-Sata-USB-3-0-Encl/dp/B003UNZNGA/

Excellent information! Thank you for sharing your experiences with the Z77 chipset board.

I'm curious, you mentioned that you are using an ASUS Sabertooth Z77 motherboard, can you tell me about your experience getting other features running smoothly, primarily the audio? I have read of a few problems with getting audio up and running on Z77's. Any other hiccups or quirks that you've encountered, besides the USB 3.0 acting as USB 2.0 on this board? I'm about to make a purchase, and I was considering getting the ASUS Sabertooth Z77, but I'd like to hear other's opinions about the board first.

Side note - I'm trying to find any realistic data difference in performance between an i7 2600k (or 2700k) vs the equivalent Ivy Bridge processor when it comes to professional tasks (Photoshop, Premiere, etc) on the Hackint0sh. Do you have any thoughts or resources elsewhere you could share on the subject?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5626/ivy- ... i7-3770k/6

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4619/ ... index.html

Full reviews will be out on the 23rd though

On topic, I can already tell you that USB 3.0 speeds are not supported, at least not in the current drivers. No matter which port I plugged things into on my UD5H, things were only working at USB 2.0 speeds, despite having installed the USB 3.0 drivers and devices plugged in appearing as USB 3.0, but at USB 2.0 speeds.

VESPYRtech said:
I'm curious, you mentioned that you are using an ASUS Sabertooth Z77 motherboard, can you tell me about your experience getting other features running smoothly, primarily the audio? I have read of a few problems with getting audio up and running on Z77's. Any other hiccups or quirks that you've encountered, besides the USB 3.0 acting as USB 2.0 on this board? I'm about to make a purchase, and I was considering getting the ASUS Sabertooth Z77, but I'd like to hear other's opinions about the board first.
The Sabertooth Z77 has ALC892 audio so once I created a DSDT it was dead simple. I did have some trouble booting into UniBeast initially because USB didn't work right away. I will have a full howto thread about the board next week but am waiting for some other hardware to arrive.

The Sabertooth Z77 (and all other Asus Z77 boards) currently requires either the SpeedStepper patch or NullCPUPowerManagement.kext to avoid the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext kernel panic. There is a patched BIOS to solve the issue but we are thus far unable to flash it due to some changes in the Z77 chipset.

VESPYRtech said:
Side note - I'm trying to find any realistic data difference in performance between an i7 2600k (or 2700k) vs the equivalent Ivy Bridge processor when it comes to professional tasks (Photoshop, Premiere, etc) on the Hackint0sh. Do you have any thoughts or resources elsewhere you could share on the subject?
From what I've read thus far, you won't see more than a 10-15% processor performance boost from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge. However, using HD 4000 Graphics will be 50-60% faster than HD 3000 Graphics once it is supported in OS X.

The standard Ivy Bridge processors have a max TDP of 77W compared to Sandy Bridge's 95W. Power consumption should be a little lower as a result but probably not much. Sandy Bridge is very efficient with its SpeedStep support and thus uses very little power most of the time unless under very heavy load.

I'm currently using a Core i7 2700K with the Sabertooth Z77 and its performance is great. I plan to get an Ivy Bridge CPU eventually but I'm more interested in the Core i7 3770T and 3770S models than the 3770 and 3770K. I'm sure Apple will announce Ivy Bridge systems soon (most likely iMac) since only a few desktop processors are being released in a few days. The rest of the mobile processors that Apple would use in everything else won't be here until the beginning of June.

Thank you for taking the time to respond, as well as the effort to test these boards and features yourself.

I'm keeping an eye on forthcoming hardware, but I think the 2700k and Sabertooth Z77 will be more than sufficient for my needs.

VESPYRtech said:
Thank you for taking the time to respond, as well as the effort to test these boards and features yourself.

I'm keeping an eye on forthcoming hardware, but I think the 2700k and Sabertooth Z77 will be more than sufficient for my needs.
No problem. I'm quite happy with it myself. The only issue I have with the Sabertooth Z77 (and all Asus Z77 boards for now) is needing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext or the SpeedStepper patch. Hopefully we will have a solution to that issue at some point but it's hard to say if we will.

The reasons I picked the Sabertooth Z77 to begin with were that it had ALC892 audio which, from my P8B WS experience, has been excellent. It also has two onboard ASMedia ASM1061 SATA controllers, one for two SATA ports and one for two eSATA ports. Both controllers work great with the 3rd party eSATA kext in MultiBeast and fully support hotswap although my experience has been that reinserting another drive causes the other drive on the same controller to unmount and then remount causing an error message to pop up. It's not too bad and when I swap drives I just unmount both from that same controller which solves the problem.

The other critical point for me was Intel Gigabit Ethernet which works perfectly with hnak's e1000 kext. As a bonus it also has DisplayPort and HDMI output. I used HD3000 Graphics with it successfully with no artifacts at all but there are some issues there with Minecraft and Java (refuses to run) as well as iTunes (crashes unless you remove AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext which prevents HD video completely) that I have to track down still. Right now I am using NVIDIA GT 430 graphics with perfect success.

i7-3770T Ivy Bridge looks like the real sweat spot!!

4 cores / 8 threads 2.5 - 3.7 GHz
HD4000 graphics
8MB L3
45 watts - unbelievable - guess that's the 22nm kicking in?

looks like they may be had for $294 plus?

rexki said:
i7-3770T Ivy Bridge looks like the real sweat spot!!

4 cores / 8 threads 2.5 - 3.7 GHz
HD4000 graphics
8MB L3
45 watts - unbelievable - guess that's the 22nm kicking in?

looks like they may be had for $294 plus?
Looks great to me! I'm going to wait until there is a Mac with an Ivy Bridge processor though. I'm not too excited about a patched kernel for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back