Contribute
Register

Intel SSD 660p NVMe 1 TB: any issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be a little late to the thread, but for anyone interested I put an Intel 660p 2TB NVMe drive in my hack. Everything works, except for turning it off. If I try to sleep, shutdown, or restart, the system can't. It starts to turn off components and freezes at the NVMe. For shutdown/restart, this is just annoying as it cleanly unmount the file system and halts the OS, but won't power off the machine. It breaks sleep since it can't go to sleep, but also can't wake up from it's partial-sleep state at that point.

You've been a lurker here for over 8 years ? :mrgreen: That must set some kind of new tonymacx86 record. I'll have to research that to be sure. I've never used the 660p but don't think there are any problems if your motherboard supports it. The only NVMe to absolutely avoid is the 970 Evo Plus. Let us know if it works out for you.
The latest firmware update fixes stability issues said ssd. I'm running my hackintosh on that.

Chiming in here. I can't speak to running OS on it but using the 660p as a session drive for Pro Tools (eh, think storage) works great. Whats the preferred system M.2 for OS these days?

Chiming in here. I can't speak to running OS on it but using the 660p as a session drive for Pro Tools (eh, think storage) works great. Whats the preferred system M.2 for OS these days?
I used the old HP EX900 and it worked great first try. I've also heard the older Samsung EVO 860 or 960 works, just avoid the EVO PLUS or PRO models.

Evo plus works fine with latest firmware, and i know it was the firmware because it crashed constantly without it being upgraded.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 12.30.25.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 12.30.25.png
    171.7 KB · Views: 89
Installation stucks but completed after many tries. System lag and instability, panic... change the ssd resolved that problem

Hi i have lag issues with my intel 600p 512Gb nvme and it's a clone of my other m2 sata which works fine so for you changing the disk was the only solution ?

Did you tried updating the firmware ?

Here is a quick feedback on my hackintosh.

I installed a 2TB 660p about one year ago, wanting to leverage NVMe performance over SATA. The performance was alerady not-so-great at the beginning, but I even noticed a progressive drop in global performance over time, especially on things like boot (TRIM operation taking more and more time), displaying custom icons in Finder, or loading screens in games.

After reading some articles here about strange problems with APFS on NVMe SSDs, I CCC'ed my system on an external disk, wiped the 660p in HFS+ and restored my data on it. And since then, I just found back a whole new hackintosh : 20s of boot time, snappy Finder and games... and benchmarks that talk for themselves !

AmorphousDiskMark test on APFS :
Intel 660p NVMe 2TB (APFS).png

Same test in HFS+ :
Intel 660p NVMe 2TB (HFS+).png

I sure hope this APFS problem will be solved by the time I will have to uptate to Catalina... Good thing this time has not come yet, Mojave being very solid on this build, and still having a few 32-bit apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back