Contribute
Register

Intel Network adapters on OS X: Small Tree drivers

The 10G Ethernet card is correctly brought up only when booting with the "f" flag. I think there is a race-problem with loading the Smalltree driver and FakePCI.

Booting with the "f" flag prevents booting from RAID partitions.

I realize now that the best solution will be to switch to Clover. This will allow boot from raid without using the hidden helper "Boot OS X" partitions on the RAID slices.

I suspect you have some sort of kernel cache issue. But yeah, a move to Clover is probably worth trying.

What's the current status of x540 in Yosemite? Is there any working kext for it?

Rehabman,

I am just building a Clover boot USB key now. I would like your advice on how/when to load the 3 required kexts for the X540-T2. I see 2 options:

a. Inject 3 kexts via Clover kext injection: 2 x FakePCIID kexts and SmalltreeIntel8259x.kext
b. Inject 2 x FakePCIID kexts via Clover kext injection and then load SmalltreeIntel8259x.kext from /S/L/E

Do you have a recommendation?

Rehabman,

I am just building a Clover boot USB key now. I would like your advice on how/when to load the 3 required kexts for the X540-T2. I see 2 options:

a. Inject 3 kexts via Clover kext injection: 2 x FakePCIID kexts and SmalltreeIntel8259x.kext
b. Inject 2 x FakePCIID kexts via Clover kext injection and then load SmalltreeIntel8259x.kext from /S/L/E

Do you have a recommendation?

Install all to /S/L/E.

Hey guys!

Sorry if this is out of place for this thread..

I've got an HP 10GB 2-port NIC which uses the Intel 32599 chipset.. I've got smalltreeintel8259x-3.2.21 installed and have updated it witha version of smalltreeintel8259x.kext I got off an early post in this thread, using Kext Utility.

Oh I'm in a MacPro Mid 2012 running Yosemite 10.10.4

Im a little out of my element here - so happy to provide more info if directed. Thanks for any/all help!

Here's what I see a screenshot of the System Report under PCI - and selecting either of the 2 displayed ethernet entries in Slot 3 of the chassis.

ethernet:

Type: Ethernet Controller
Driver Installed: No
MSI: No
Bus: PCI
Slot: Slot-3
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x10fb
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x103c
Subsystem ID: 0x17d3
Revision ID: 0x0001
Link Width: x4
Link Speed: 5.0 GT/s

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 11.53.56 AM.png

Hey guys!

Sorry if this is out of place for this thread..

I've got an HP 10GB 2-port NIC which uses the Intel 32599 chipset.. I've got smalltreeintel8259x-3.2.21 installed and have updated it witha version of smalltreeintel8259x.kext I got off an early post in this thread, using Kext Utility.

Oh I'm in a MacPro Mid 2012 running Yosemite 10.10.4

Im a little out of my element here - so happy to provide more info if directed. Thanks for any/all help!

Here's what I see a screenshot of the System Report under PCI - and selecting either of the 2 displayed ethernet entries in Slot 3 of the chassis.

ethernet:

Type: Ethernet Controller
Driver Installed: No
MSI: No
Bus: PCI
Slot: Slot-3
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x10fb
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x103c
Subsystem ID: 0x17d3
Revision ID: 0x0001
Link Width: x4
Link Speed: 5.0 GT/s

View attachment 152774

Did you install the FakePCIID kexts?

You will need to use kext-dev-mode=1, of course...

Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

Wow thanks!

Was not in dev mode - ran that script in Terminal successfully.

Re-installed Smalltree kext

DL'd and installed both FakePCIID kexts

Rebooted

Now things look proper in the System Report - PCI - ethernet entries for Slot 3

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 12.34.41 PM.png
But nothing changed or appears in the Network Preferences

Wow thanks!

Was not in dev mode - ran that script in Terminal successfully.

Re-installed Smalltree kext

DL'd and installed both FakePCIID kexts

Rebooted

Now things look proper in the System Report - PCI - ethernet entries for Slot 3

View attachment 152779
But nothing changed or appears in the Network Preferences

Not sure why the image of WiFi. You're trying to get Ethernet working, no?

It appears the driver is loading... whether it works is something else...

Not sure why the image of WiFi. You're trying to get Ethernet working, no?

It appears the driver is loading... whether it works is something else...

Hi,

I just wanted to show that the adapters weren't showing up in Network Preferences with that 2nd screen in the screenshot.

Thanks for helping so far. I'm just not sure what I should be expecting from this effort or if it's even viable it can work.

Just to be clear - the driver appears to be installed -- is there anything else I need to do now to get to complete a set-up to get them to appear in my Network Prefs?

I actually have both HP and Intel branded NIC's on hand - so I may swap the HP card out for the Intel one to see if anything changes.

This is simply an effort to avoid replacing my MacPro with a Windows 7 Machine which appears to be a likely solution.. or get the SoftTree card but **** they are way too expensive!

Hi,

I just wanted to show that the adapters weren't showing up in Network Preferences with that 2nd screen in the screenshot.

Not sure... That screen shows two Ethernet adapters.

Just to be clear - the driver appears to be installed -- is there anything else I need to do now to get to complete a set-up to get them to appear in my Network Prefs?

If the two shown are not what you're after, did you add them with the [+] button?

Did you verify the drivers are loaded in ioreg?

Back