Contribute
Register

Intel Network adapters on OS X: Small Tree drivers

I can confirm Dell rNDC X540-T2 + i350 (in PowerEdge R730) is fully working with High Sierra without any EEPROM changes/patching.

X540-T2 using stock SmallTreeIntel8259x.kext (v3.3.15) extracted from pkg and manually installed to /S/L/E (with correct ownership+permission)
current version of FakePCIID + FakePCIID_Intel_GbX kexts in /L/E ...

I also tested and can confirm working additional Dell PCIe X540-T2 card
some time ago I had it working with X520-DA2 - also without any EEPROM changes.

for i350 latest kext (v1.2.5) from SmallTree website + clover patch 75B87526 > 75B86690

When I tried both (SmallTreeIntel8259x + FakePCIID) in /L/E there was (I think) priority issue that SmallTree loaded before FakePCIID... in that state I manually unloaded all those kexts and then loaded in correct order (FakePCIID first and then SmallTree) it instantly started working (w/o reboot) - best tshoot step.

Thanks everyone involved in developing this awesome stuff.

I'm using X520-DA1 on X299 hackintosh. After EEPROM patches all worked fine. BUT. Yesterday i've tried to make bridged connection of virtual machine to 10gbe interface (i've tried both vmware fusion and parallels), it worked very slow, may be 4-5 mbits of download, but full 10gbe of upload speed. I've tried to investigate the problem with wireshark. There are many duplicate ACK packets going from virtual machine and this slows down tcp connection. I've tried ubuntu and windows as virtualized OS, but results are the same. If i bridge connection to 1gbe interface - no problems. And also local traffic to 10gbe interface (from host mac os to VM) going without problems at full speed. Is anyone have observed such behavior with smalltree drivers ?

Hello! Please tell me how to make the adapter work 82576 Gigabit ET Dual Port.
https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/8086/10c9
There is no PCI card in the system information. In the "Network" section there are two adapters:
Ethernet (en0):
Type: Ethernet
Hardware: Ethernet
BSD Device Name: en0
IPv4:
Configuration Method: DHCP
IPv6:
Configuration Method: Automatic
Ethernet:
MAC address: 00: 25: 90: 1d: 18: 86
Media Parameters:
Media Sub Type: Auto Select
Proxy:
Exceptions List: * .local, 169.254 / 16
Passive FTP mode: Yes
Service order: 2

Ethernet (en1):
Type: Ethernet
Hardware: Ethernet
BSD Device Name: en1
IPv4:
Configuration Method: DHCP
IPv6:
Configuration Method: Automatic
Ethernet:
MAC address: 00: 25: 90: 1d: 18: 87
Media Parameters:
Media Sub Type: Auto Select
Proxy:
Exceptions List: * .local, 169.254 / 16
Passive FTP mode: Yes
Service order: 1
In the network settings, they also exist, but they do not work, the link does not rise.

PS/ I apologize for the English language.

Did you solve this? I just had the same problem.

Did you solve this? I just had the same problem.
After rereading dryden post, I realized that my situation is not the same.

Without the X520-DA2 card installed, physically removed from the system, the adapter still shows up in the System Preferences, in the Network Pane. Weird.

It seems to not like the subsystem id. Easy enough to fix by injecting RM,subsystem-id (and using FakePCIID). If you can determine which one it wants to see.

Thank you for the guide. I am trying to use SmallTreeIntel82576 on intel i350. Without any FakePCIID, I found that the kext is loaded with kextstat, and there is no error info in system.log. But there is still no ethernet and I cannot add an ethernet interface. (I can see the subsystem-id is 1521 so it does not match, I don't know why it does not have a error log of subsystem mismatch)

Any idea what happened?

Thank you for the guide. I am trying to use SmallTreeIntel82576 on intel i350. Without any FakePCIID, I found that the kext is loaded with kextstat, and there is no error info in system.log. But there is still no ethernet and I cannot add an ethernet interface. (I can see the subsystem-id is 1521 so it does not match, I don't know why it does not have a error log of subsystem mismatch)

Any idea what happened?

I have the same problem: loaded smalltree driver 1.3.0 (latest, kextstat), no errors (or any other info) in system.log from smalltree, I have a patched EEPROM with subsystem 0x0a (vendor: 0x8086, device-id: 0x1521, subvendor: 0x8086, sub-device: 0x000a)

edit:
tried kext patching with clover: SmallTreeIntel82576 -› 75B87526 to 75B86690
kernel.log - last boot (several times):
(SmallTreeIntel82576) SmallTreeIntel82576 b6d0f1: Invalid EEPROM 0x000a 0x1521 0xffff 0xffff
(SmallTreeIntel82576) SmallTreeIntel82576: Free has completed

edit2: it seems that the user Bubez found the way to correct those two words in EEPROM, but I can't PM him (I don't have enough posts) nor can I find any other posts from him.

Last edited:
Hey @bubez! Can't PM you. Can you share your program?

Last edited:
can someone please share the latest kext that allows support in Catalina? Thanks

Here you go.

That's for Catalina only though. I wouldn't recommend using it on Mojave or below.

I've verified that it works with an ethtool modded X520 and X540. Cannot verify the X550 as I do not yet have one to test with.

Last edited:
Back