Contribute
Register

Intel: "Letting the Chips Fall..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! lots of bugs

I believe there are implications to hackintosh, esp when I see posts like this:

I have a similar experience with an overclocked z590 11th gen sometimes checking out — like not KP but hard crash and weird behavior.

I qualify the overclocking because that's a notorious source of weirdness in builds.

But for later unlocked components and XMP, Intel has basically said to desktop customers "we've perfected these speed" with the caveat that gamers as a demographic take it as a point of pride that their systems crash and eat all their data.

My view is that given so much errata, which historically has required lots of compiler / OS meditation, above and beyond firmware / microcode, hackintosher should expect to be fighting war of attrition as macOS gets further removed from Intel.

While everyone expects key features to break in future, most do not expect their system to become subtly sketchier, and it's hard to live with a system that has seemingly random stability when the faults clobber all your data — when I was struggling with corrupt NVMes, my thoughts kept turning to "is this build crushing my drives?" And has been reported here, it's entirely possible...

I'm happy my build works so well that I can use it as daily driver replacement for trusty old Mac. But I can't recommend this to anyone who wants to run later gen kit, and no matter what you've gotta be able to take some pain.

For hacks, I predict 13th gen to be an unlucky number...

I got a reasonably priced deal on a 10th Gen i9 and a board to go with... For the time being, I plan for it to be a Windows PC for my workshop, but once I get a better system, that better system will become my PC, and honestly... That i9 10th gen will probably become my final legacy Hackintosh. I'll probably either run Mohave or High Sierra on it, cause I'll want it to run legacy 32-bit x86 Mac apps on it. By the time I replace the i9 10th gen, for my workshop, I imagine M2 Macs will likely be on the used market. The Mini doesn't support enough monitors, and the Studio is insanely priced.

Hopefully when it comes time, I'll be able to find something to suit my needs. Sadly, time marches on, and newer Intel hardware is indeed going to deviate from what an aging and time frozen Mac OS kernel is expecting to run on.

I very much appreciate the desire to to run legacy Mac SW, explore technology, scrap to minimize cost in shekels, etc. What you say makes sense.

BTW the 10th gen is a completely modern era: there's nothing predicted for PC within the next 5 years with such sheer performance that it is going to dustbin your 10th gen device. A radical change will require a shift of thinking about how the device is applied. When the next inflection happens, you won't be comparing the goggles to a desktop PC, and will you ever risk a desktop PC wired straight into your brain?!
I'll revisit and qualify my warning about 13th gen hacking and the pain:

The Golden Build is a wonderful way of looking at this scene. As long as there are talented contributors on the leading edge such as the great work that's been done for 12th gen, there will be a fun useful future to these projects.

My personal warning is motivated by grouchiness that came from the (bad) luck of trying to adapt lastest gen kit that had an exceptionally short shelf life (early in 11th gen) while not knowing anything about hackintoshing. The big shift to Open Core was well underway, but still new to forums. Also I was indulging in first tries at over-clocking, so lots of hills to climb... Plus macOS was going through some big changes! So I fell into a pit that took a year to sort out.

Today my hack is my daily driver. It has replaced old Mac Pro. I could writeup my parts list and BIOS instructions and EFI and give it to myself and be rolling happily in a few days. And there are many builds to choose from on these forums. It suited my curiosity to roll my own.

So I'm happily grouchy. Today I could buy off the shelf a better performing system from Apple at the same net cost in dollars, and using the energy spent on hack to pursue other interests. (Wait, what are my other interests?)

I'm now sure there's no necessity of hackintosh at a practical level.

For the nostalgic, there are millions of old Macs around and active forums for keeping them running.

I also see the value proposition being to make your computer into the way you want it to work and understand something about how it works. I think there's no contradiction.

Buying off-the-shelf computers today is a primrose path: it's consumerist swamp with all companies oppressively vying for your mindshare. The dream of the liberating personal computer as represented by Apple in 1984 is D E A D, and might have been ridiculous at its time. And the other PC companies are still worse, because they treat the device as merely a new form of television. To be a creator now is to be a personal TV studio. Horrible culture.

I've been going back to read old Byte magazines to try to understand what happened over the last 40 years, searching for insights that have been lost. My view is that a personal computer is the most incredible information resource ever invented, and having access to it is just the very beginning of its potentials. What I never expected in 1984 was that such a liberal instrument would in 2024 manifest as a medium designed to cage, gate and sequester public information purely for purposes of silos of private profit, while billionaire radicals prance like maniacs pretending to be bastions of conservative pragmatism while engaging in all-out attacks on the collective mind and hatching plots to wreck the world. As the Enlightment was about colonization and control of human bodies to noble programs of civilization, Postmodernism has become about the colonization of the mind to maintenance of private infrastructure. An individual is now a tool of his own oppression because he thinks in patterns organized by the media be consumes and the media are blasting at us 24/7. The personal computer has become a means for turning the person into a robot of consumption who thinks she's heroically smashing the gaze of her gray overlords, when what happened is the gray overlords have just become way younger and fresher looking.

—Blah blah a million blahs

I have no doubt 13th gen can be made to run macOS. My comments about errata withstanding...

I say that whatever happens with Intel, Apple will offer the most cost-effect way to move into whatever future Apple envisions, with the caveat that Mac is a lot more like 1984 than Apple let on in 1984.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back